Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: DARN YOU GIGABYTE. OH JUST DARN YOU.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:37 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Ok, So I RMAed my Video Card to Gigabyte four times now and this last time they just sent me a message saying they are 'sending my card back' yet again. No replacement, I'm guessing. I emailed them and asked them to clarify and they haven't responded yet. I HOPE they replace it because it has been faulty since I got it over the Summer. They have "Fixed it" twice now.. the first time I RMAed they didn't even do anything they just sent it back and said it was working. I get extreme artifacting, tearing, crashes, and freezing with the card. It is a GTX 560 Ti OC to 900MHZ and when it worked it was swell, but that was probably a collective of 4 weeks combined since I got it in July.

So also as a side note, I'm thinking of just saying 'screw it' and getting a MSI GTX 550 Ti (I can't afford another 560 Ti unfortunately). Will this card allow me to turn on Ultra settings in Star Wars: The Old Republic? It's the only game I play now and I would like to play on max settings at 1920x1080 with reasonable frame rates. I found an MSI GTX 550 Ti for $110 after rebate and I think I'm just going to plunk down for that card and be done with it.

Post subject: Re: DARN YOU GIGABYTE. OH JUST DARN YOU.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:17 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

There are many factors that can cause your issue that you describe, please list your whole computer specs and what other procedures you have done to test the rest of your system if in fact the video card is to blame. More times than not, it's either your PSU, heat issues, or a driver/firmware issue.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:23 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Well on Newegg's website a full QUARTER of people that ordered the card gave it 1 star:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814125363

Many have had problems with it. I put in a substitute card for a while and it runs fine, so I don't think there's anything wrong with the rest of the computer. Twice now Gigabyte has found error with the card and "fixed" it, but it still does not work correctly. Anyways, here are my specs:

AMD Phenom II 3.2GHZ Quad Core CPU
Dual WD Caviar Black SATA-III, 7200RPM, 64MB Cache Hard Drives in RAID 0 Array
ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 Motherboard
750w RAIDMAX PSU
Lite-ON DVD RW+
ASUS Blu-Ray Burner
8GB Corsair DDR3 1600MHZ 1.6v RAM

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:55 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Do you have a proper power supply? The Raidmax 730w seems to be a rebadged Andyson 450w oem power supply with the 12v rails able to "handle" 28a instead of 20, or at least what I could find. I bet the voltage deviation on the rails could be an issue even though they say they are up to 2.2 standards. It's not even 80 plus cert nor can I find any proper review site that have actually done a proper review to test out the rails and see what its pulling. Everyone on hardocp laughs at the psu.

Have you tried to underclock the 560 ti down to regular stock speeds of 800mhz instead of the factory OC of 900? Run FurMark and see if you still run into issues. What is the other video card you are running now?

Also, don't even bother reading reviews on newegg. its full of stupid reviews and people who don't know shit about computer parts, very very bias.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:14 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Ya I know my PSU isn't great. It was dirt cheap though ($55). I know you shouldn't skimp on the power supply of all things but I was on a budget. It does however run the Gigabyte card just fine for a week or two and then the card gives out. I've had maybe a month of solid performance from the card total, but usually it's just a buggy piece of crap. The card I'm on now is just a Galaxy GT 210. Just enough to get me by while waiting for my card. I recently (as in about 2 hours ago) ordered a MSI GTX 550 Ti as my back up card, and that should be delivered a few days before I get my card back from Gigabyte. Still waiting on Gigabyte to email me back and see if they actually replaced the card rather than "fix" it.

Assuming I do get a new PSU in the near future do you have a model that is heavy on wattage but still reasonably priced that you recommend? I can't really spend more than say $70-80, though.

Btw, thanks for taking the time to help me with my situation.

Last edited by MaximumGraphics on Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:15 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Oh, btw, I did indeed try to underclock the card and that didn't change anything. I used MSI's afterburner.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:26 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

wow... you spent $55 on that?! Jesus dude. I could have found you a perfect 500w psu that would have ran everything in your system from antec, ocz, corsair and other name brand makers for less then that. Shit, I paid $30 for a Cooler Master 500w powersupply 5 years ago and it powers a gtx 570 just fine and that chews through 220+ watts. Your system would barely hit 300-350w on load. Just two months ago, Antec had a nice 750w greenwatts psu for $50 AR.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:49 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Well I'm thinking it's the card that's the problem but I'll keep that in mind on my next build. Probably will just build a whole new rig than upgrade this one, in say, a year and a half or so. I'll be sure to get a good power supply!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:10 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

and seriously, EVGA first, MSi or Asus next. While I love gigabyte motherboards, they really have been a hit or miss for most of their other products.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:00 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I have an EVGA 560Ti in this thing and it does well. That having been said, I agree with the others, I believe a decent and consistant PSU would help. That PSU is one inconsistant sucker as far as power delivery goes. At $55, it was probably overpriced. :P