Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Crysis Warhead DRM problems
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:25 am 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

EA has joined my list of companies I will no longer buy from until they fix the DRM with Crysis Warhead. (My list is now 2 companies long. EA having joined Ubisoft.)
I have been having an on going problem with the DRM. It has to do with limiting the number of installations you can do on a computer.
If I change some component in the system in which the game is already installed, the DRM counts that as a new computer. Not the same computer with a new piece of equipment, a NEW COMPUTER. If you have to reinstall the OS for some reason, that also is counted as a new computer.
You are then locked out.
EA does have this handy little thing. If you de-authorize the game before you upgrade, then reauthorize after the upgrade, it doesn't count as a new computer.
HOWEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They don't tell you this in the manual for the game. The de-authorize file is also NOT included with the game. You have to go online to get the file. You won't find out about the files existence until you can't play since you've run out of authorizations.
I upgrade components often. So I often have to go to CS, since I don't remember the de-authorize file, to get things straightened out again.
Once more I am back with them. This time since early March and STILL haven't been able to play the game. This time it is because I added a second video card.
They are starting to run me past doing the same things I have done earlier at their request.
I have started a file of my own with all the things they want me to try and my replies on the outcome of each. It is a 15KB Notepad file and growing.
It really gets my goat that I can play every game I have except Warhead.
It also gets my goat that all the other games don't care if I change hardware components but Warhead does.
EA's DRM on Warhead is, IMNSHO, is a piece of shit.