Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Corsair SSD's
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:20 pm 

I built recently two machines, each with Corsair performance series solid state drives. One machine has one 128GB, and one 256GB drive. The other machine has one 128GB drive. Needless to say, they cost a lot. When I bought the drives I was not aware of the slowdown in performance that can occur with certain SSD's if they do not support the TRIM command or come with their own command to clean up sector problems. Both of my machines are running Windows7 64bit which supports the TRIM command. I immediately contacted Corsair support to inquire if my drives supported the TRIM command or had their own program command. Corsair said they did not and would require a firmware update. The update is very complicated and involves wiping the entire drive. The link for the firmware update is:
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=83708 Please look at this link and tell me if you believe this fix sucks. Corsair is still selling these SSD's with no mention of included support for the TRIM command.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:26 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

To some degree, you yourself are at fault for not researching things better. Having never used an SSD myself, when I had to make a recommendation to my brother in law, I came to the conclusion that while Corsair typically makes awesome components, their SSD's weren't up to snuff yet.

While I agree that the steps needed to update the firmware or even do their "quick"performance restore without doing a full HDD Erase are all step intensive, this is true with all Samsung controller based SSD's right now. ALL SSD's, regardless of controller, require some form of end user maintenance that we've grown spoiled about since having such large mechanical hard drives.

So the OCZ Vertex Turbo's are what he ended up buying and he gave me one of them. They work great, support trim and also have their own wiper program you can manually use at any time of your choosing. But that's the benefit of NOT having a Samsung controller.

I'm sure the information was there for you to see had you of done your research prior to now. But there IS a way to restore your performance, as convoluted as that may be, and I would be willing to bet that if you took the time to set aside your frustration and learn it/do it, you will see that other than time consuming, it isn't hard to do. And once you're used to it, it won't be time consuming either.

Now, having said all of that, I'm also going to say this. I've made a similar mistake in the past myself. I ended up selling whatever it was that was pissing me off on Ebay and then turning around and buying a better product. If you want ease of use, then Intel is VERY hard to beat with their performance levels and tools however, there's the price premium. If that is too rich for your blood, then the OCZ Vertex line is a wonderfully simple drive to use, maintain and even install the OS on since it uses an Indilinx controller. Finding out your info at this point fucking sucks. No other way to put it.

Hopefully, you're using Windows7 and not trying to RAID any of your SSD's. RAID is difficult with all current SSD's; perhaps time consuming is a better description, but especially so with the Samsung controllers on the Corsair and other drives. Whatever SSD you may decide to end up with, make sure it has the Indilinx (IDX110) Barefoot SSD, or newer, controller. But the important thing with SSD's for ease of use is to have Windows7 installed with its trim support already in place.

For your info, and for that of others here, if you decide to go with an OCZ Vertex series, be it new or used, make sure it has firmware v1.4 or later on it. v1.4 is current, and is installed on all of their Turbo model Vertex drives, but the boys at OCZ are always working hard to bring the next, better performing firmware out and theirs isn't as hard to flash either. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.