Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Coolermaster V8 fan failures
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:56 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I purchased a coolermaster v8 a little over a year ago. Luckily I clean my system regularly and vacuum it out. I happened to notice the cpu fan looked odd. It turns out even though the leds were on the fan wasnt turning. I checked the status and it wasnt turning at all!

Luckily I wasnt overclocking and the heatsink kept my i7 at under 58c.

I have contacted coolermaster about an RMA and it seems you must email them. In 2 weeks not a peep. Looking around there seems to be an issue. I can say that the fan being on the INSIDE of the heatsink is a but dangerous if the fan isnt reliable. A big heads up is that the supplied fan doesnt like fan controllers.

Lets just say as an owner of 3 HAF 932 cases, hyper6 heatsink and the v-8 Im a bit upset... Even worse are the customer systems I have used coolermaster products in. Now Im worried about failures.

I

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:23 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

Dude, you should try out the much cheaper, but high performing, Cooler Master Hyper 212+. That thing has reviewed extremely well and beats out almost every cooler out there. It's only $29 on Newegg and is an awesome cooler. I have three of them in the house right now and have been using them on a lot of builds lately.

Best thing is they use a 120mm fan on the outside of the cooling fins. So you can easily replace it if it goes bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:58 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

The V-8 is an awesome heatsink. The thing is even without the fan it cooled my i-7.

What is bad is the 120mm fan and the RMA support is insanely bad. I cannot believe they are this slow.

Its going on the 3rd week with no response. The site just sites at 'pending'.

I may be moving to another vendor as I had to when Antec and Asus decided to be failures at service.

V

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:36 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I'm with ya dude. When a crucial part of the unit you buy fails, it's hard to just suggest buying another from the same company. Let alone when it does and they don't even send an automated reply to say "we're on it". A fan failing on a cooler is un-acceptable.

I'm searching like a madman to find the P/N for that fan. I know I have it because it was an issue here as well. It's a total pile of shit fan that is about $5 shipped to get another. It's sleeved, it goes off balance, starts to rattle the whole monster cooler, and eventually the entire tower case has this oscillation ravers would love to dance to. It never died, but I wouldn't let it get that far...enough is enough.

If they don't reply back, keep trying. Give them three attempts at least and then we can step in and start getting down to brass tacks. I have an assumption that they'll ignore you since that's a reflection of my own dealings with CM, but I'll always suggest to others to give them a chance.

But for now, you should just accept that you need to buy a fan to get in there and not wait on them to deal with their product. Include this in one of your updates to them. They may eventually get to you, but they'll also RMA the entire unit and not just the fan. Best case scenario: you send it all in, you get it back with the same POS fan. $15 for a Noiseblocker fan and just write them guys off as "good Support providers".

Reviews are 3-day room mates dude. It's a snapshot that few follow up with. 6-months later we find they don't pay rent, leave their underwear on the couch, and just become a hassle to keep around. Nothing good to say about Coolermaster hear at least...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:56 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Thats true. I installed a better fan the night I saw the issue. (I noted the temp spike)

They have finally a month later sent me a email showing that I may get a shipment soon. (UPS shows friday delivery)

Being as they use an electronic form SOME response would have been nice. Its getting to be where unless you are willing to take a loss when something breaks you are out of luck.

At least they finally responded.

V