Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Microsoft Office 2010
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:32 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Apparently, Microsoft has decided no more Office upgrade versions.

I was going to upgrade, but I'm used to Professional-ish capabilities (Ultimate 2007). I use Outlook so I'd have to buy Home and Business for $250. No.

I really don't understand the logic of this move. Economy's down, Google and OpenOffice are on their tail and they price the product higher?

Anyone who understands microeconomics will tell you that when price goes up, quantity demanded goes down. Perhaps they think the increased revenue will offset the potential drop in sales.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:03 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

did MS allow you to install boxed copies of office 2007 on multiple PC's cause if that feature is new on 2010 it seems like the price per copy has actually decreased.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:09 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

bathtbgin wrote:
did MS allow you to install boxed copies of office 2007 on multiple PC's cause if that feature is new on 2010 it seems like the price per copy has actually decreased.

I believe all 2007 versions which were sold as individual licenses had a "laptop" clause which reads something like this: This software is licensed to one person who may install one copy on one Primary Device which is for their own use. This person may also install a second copy on a Portable Device for the exclusive use of the owner of the Primary Device.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:13 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Sovereign wrote:
bathtbgin wrote:

I believe all 2007 versions which were sold as individual licenses had a "laptop" clause which reads something like this: This software is licensed to one person who may install one copy on one Primary Device which is for their own use. This person may also install a second copy on a Portable Device for the exclusive use of the owner of the Primary Device.

okay, i never actually read the license so i wasnt sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:37 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Is there any particular reason that you use the world's WORST email client?

I'm curious. :) Outlook is a resource pig and I feel it even on my 12GB i7 workstation. If it wasn't required in the office, I'd happily ditch that pig like a fat girl used for entrance to another high school's prom party.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:57 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

From the way the article reads, it sounds more like a business decision, for whatever reason...and I'd think that WPA/Genuine advantage/whatever it's called this week is what's feeding it.

I'm not sure I blame them. I've never really been a fan of upgrade licensing to begin with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:53 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

SEE?? Right here is ONE of the biggest reasons for software priacy. YOU pay a VERY large sum for a title, and ONLY allow it to be used on ONE PC!
I do not know about you guys, but I have several PCs (laptops/towers)
AND why SHOULD I have to pay for a new copy of a title for each? *I* am the owner of all these PCs. Another odd thing too, is MS's School license, it
allows 10 PCs to a single license. How is that fair to people that also own a lot of PCs, and can only get 1 PC to 1 license? AND this has been that way
LONG before the multi license packs. I know that Schools are on a closed network, and MS can verify that that license is only on that particular network of PCs, BUT heck our PCs too are on a network (home) and should as well be verifiable.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]