Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Panda Antivirus and NX bit
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:33 pm 

Hello agian all I was just wondering if anybody else ran into this problem with Panda software. I noticed recently when I bought the new 2005 version of my favorite antivirus that it just would not work with my system. I suspected that NX bit was at fault so I changed the settings in windows to allow this with NX bit but this had no affect... so I did the next logical thing and looked on Pandas' support site and found out I was right and downloaded the patch, and it didn't work. I then tried all the old routines , safe mode..blah..blah, but this did not work either so I just put it on my mothers computer and called it even but am very mad that Panda did not put a side note to people with A64's or intels new 3.8 and nowhere on their web site does it mention this. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:21 am 
Team Member
Team Member

not to flame you or anything like that...

but why would you pay for anti-virus software?

Most ISPs distribute FREE AV packages so as to protect their customers and their networks....

Road Runner offers Comptuer Associates eTrust Antivirus and Firewall.

Also, some universities you attend also offer/provide free antivirus software... for instance Pace University offers free lifetime [as long as Pace honors Nortons corporate contract] protection.

And besides the free give aways, if you actually read Maximum PC they always plug a free AV program you can download and use for free.

just my 2 cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:50 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Panda is free often after rebate. It works great and uses very little memory. It is usually one of the top anti virus programs and is updating daily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:36 pm 

Hey Rob- yah I like AVG and avast as much as the other guy, and recommend it to people that either don't have the money to buy other programs or to people that are just to cheap to buy antivirus but Panda has caught a few things the other's didn't, and notice I said a few but that is a few to many in my book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:40 pm 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Sorry guys, but free AV software isn't for everyone. I would rather buy an AV program of my choice. I didn't care for AVG.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:53 pm 

Alex, you did notice I said Panda was my favorite antivirus program... right. I appreciate the feedback but the real reason I was posting this is to warn people that use Panda or are thinking of buying Panda that have NX bit enabled proc's. I'm pretty sure that the incompatibility is with the new True Prevent software as this does not run on my machine either, but earliar versions did and I also remember the online tech support article as saying something like- Pandas' software is not compatible with A64 chips and won't be in the forseeable future- and I guess Panda won't be in buisness in the forseeable future either as the new "J" class P4 also has NX bit. A shame really as panda puts out some pretty good software.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:20 am 
Team Member
Team Member

When my friend's Toshiba laptop and my other friend's Dell laptop both started acting diseased about the same time, McAffee didn't find anything. Norton didn't find anything. AVG found and fixed everything.