Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Asus?! What happened?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:10 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

Okay...

The short story is I came home like a child home from their last day of school before summer vacation and a trip to Disneyworld- Xonar D2X sound card in hand. Pretty pumped about all the great reviews I've read... Guy at the store even remarked that the manager just bought one for his home theater setup and swears by it.

I'm happy!

So I'm fumbling around in the package, looking at half a dozen different cables... opticals... a couple I'd never seen... one for CD audio... okay- I think one was an adapter for optical...

Power... 4 pin power... 4 pin floppy power... nothing. I look again. Maybe it's on my PSU. Nope...

So let me get this straight. Brand new card- kickass as far as I've heard anywhere- with a power supply requirement similar to a device I haven't seen in a computer for 5 fricken years?!

I then happened upon a review that mentioned that many will have to return to the store to get the adapter. Of course it's not something that you can pick up at Walmart- I have to drive into the city. Frick.

Anyways- really disappointed they don't just include the adapter. That's just stupid.

eno

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:16 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

I agree with you. And now, I'm calling it a night. Good night all! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:19 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

I just installed a video card a few months ago that required a floppy power cable- except it came with an adapter. That sucks... lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:44 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Wow what kind of psu do you have that doesn't have one floppy 4pin cable :?,every one i have ever used from a cheap 300 watt to 1k watt psus have all had at least one.

Anyway this is not Asus fault in any way tbh since it says on the box that you need additional power from a 4pin cable form your psu and no where does it say it includes one.
You should of done you research before buying a expensive card.

Anyway just so you know this card is kick ass,and you should just of got the pci version if you dont have a 4pin floppy power cable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:48 am 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

The biggest annoyance is this for me:

Quote:
"Guy at the store even remarked that the manager just bought one for his home theater setup and swears by it. "

You would think the manager would have made a comment to said guy about needing the adapter, unless he was using an older power supply that had it - unless the guy was making up stuff just to made sure you bought it.

Either way, that sucks.

How's the card though?

AJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:25 am 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

Well unfortunately I was under the mistaken impression that the 4 pin was the larger one used for pre sata hard drives. I hadnt seen a floppy (drive) for years.

As for the card- don't know. Tried scavenging from old old old comp in storage but connector was attached directly to psu. Tried cutting it frankenstyle but as many of you know that just didn't work. Now I'm back off to work and won't get to listen to it for a week.
Card looks great lol. Can't wait to get home.

Still not happy about the connector thing, though. You're telling me a 200 dollar card couldn't include that 1$ adapter?! That's my gripe. I'm disappointed the guy at the store didn't say anything but may too have been none the wiser. Sigh. Anyways! Rrrrrrr ;)

eno

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:11 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

FINALLY got home from work to put the power on and get things plugged in.

I'm no audiophile, but if there were ever a card that could turn me into one, or stimulate my evolution so that 3 generations down the line my great great grand kids grow up being one... This card is it.

I was being REALLY picky too- after all the sensational reviews I read on it. When I first started up the card and listened... WOW. Really, truly astonishing.

Unfortunately, just like if you look at a sculpture close enough- the small imperfections start to come clear. With a scrutinous glare, you would realize that amazing sculpture is only rock plaster and water.

I've actually heard SO much detail in the music I listen to that I find some aggravating background instrument that I discover I don't like. Of course, it's all I can hear now because I'd never heard it before.

AWESOME CARD... worth the headache.

(Edit) And THEN I found the floppy connectors! Sorry for doubting you, Corsair!

Eno