Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: HP warranty dates & tx1000 laptop
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:28 am 

I bought the HP tx1000 Tablet PC off of eBay, and the seller is really peculiar about how "new" it is. The auction stated that the laptop is "barely used" and "works fine", but when I received it, I found that the wireless doesn't work and the battery doesn't last 15 minutes!

Then I ask him how long he had it -- he said "a little over a year." That's funny because I checked with HP support when the manufacturing date was. They said,

Manufacturing date: 9/18/2007
Purchase date: 9/19/2007
Extended warranty expiration: 6/20/2008
and eBay seller claims he had it only since: 12/1/2008

Then HP support says they made a mistake and claimed the manufacture and purchase date was instead 2006 -- which I don't think makes sense since the laptop was released January 2007?

TL;DR So I don't know which dates are right -- do you think it was manufactured in 9/2006 or 9/2007? And furthermore, is it possible for the eBay guy to have purchased the laptop over a year after the manufacture date, in 12/2008? Do retailers hold items for that long?

I ask because the tx1000 laptop has known heatsink issues which kills the laptop after ~2 years of constant use. However, it's been more than 2 years since manufacture and the laptop only fails in wifi. The guy claims he only used it lightly, for email. For tx1000/similar owners: I'm wondering if it's safe to assume the laptop will last for another year after I fix the heatsink, given it may have been used lightly for 1-2 years, yet it still runs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:10 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Had you researched the information before you purchased the unit? I generally find that "deals" on E-bay and other sites are rarely a deal. However, you wanted to know if it could be assumed the unit would continue to operate.

I'd say, keep all the vents cleaned out and continue to use it until it dies. With all the issues that particular unit has, I wonder if HP might have added some sort of warranty extension. They did for my daughters laptop. The motherboards were all going dead.

I've also learned that HP is not the manufacturer it once was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:41 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I don't think I'd bid $325 for even a "like new" hp laptop. IMO laptops should cheaper than desktops, because I'm sure they cost less to make. And they sure cost more to fix. But everyone is laptop crazy these days, they'll trample you in the mall if they're on sale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:58 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

My experience with HP wasn't a good one, yours may differ of course. I spent $1,800 on the ZT1185 and three months later the CCFL tubes went out. No color on the screen- nada, zip, zilch. :wink: Nevertheless, I really liked the laptop for the short amount of time that it worked properly. Glad I bought the enhanced coverage through an external warranty company. I contacted them, they told me to keep the laptop, and sent me the entire amount I paid, plus tax. I later overclocked the daylights out of it, and it became a desktop PC through an external monitor for a few years. Hence, I'd like to think that your unit will last just as long, if not longer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:32 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

MRrelabled wrote:
I don't think I'd bid $325 for even a "like new" hp laptop. IMO laptops should cheaper than desktops, because I'm sure they cost less to make. And they sure cost more to fix. But everyone is laptop crazy these days, they'll trample you in the mall if they're on sale.

They don't cost less to make. Think about it. Mobile CPU's are much more expensive then desktop CPU's, and each and every chassis and motherboard is individually designed and engineered to fit and work perfectly in that one situation- there are no standards to work from, they can't just order a bunch of vanilla motherboards from foxconn and Asus. Every heatsink is specifically designed for that laptop, and every chassis is individually designed to absorb and dissipate heat from the laptop. For a desktop they can just order prebuilt ATX cases and PSU's... but they have to pay people to design all these laptop components from scratch. Mobile GPU's are usually custom-specced to fit the laptop, 2.5" HDD's are more expensive, SO-DIMMs are more expensive, and they have to integrate a touchpad which is more expensive then a mouse- not to mention an ultra-thin monitor which isn't cheap either. And there's more then just that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:40 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Spartacus wrote:
MRrelabled wrote:

They don't cost less to make. Think about it. Mobile CPU's are much more expensive then desktop CPU's, and each and every chassis and motherboard is individually designed and engineered to fit and work perfectly in that one situation- there are no standards to work from, they can't just order a bunch of vanilla motherboards from foxconn and Asus. Every heatsink is specifically designed for that laptop, and every chassis is individually designed to absorb and dissipate heat from the laptop. For a desktop they can just order prebuilt ATX cases and PSU's... but they have to pay people to design all these laptop components from scratch. Mobile GPU's are usually custom-specced to fit the laptop, 2.5" HDD's are more expensive, SO-DIMMs are more expensive, and they have to integrate a touchpad which is more expensive then a mouse- not to mention an ultra-thin monitor which isn't cheap either. And there's more then just that.

I have thought about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:58 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

There should be a manufactured date on the label on the bottom of the laptop. It will say something like 1/07 or 1/2007. The HP laptop I had until I recently sold it had it on there anyway and most electronics of any size do as well.

But yeah, that's the chance you take buying electronics off of Ebay without doing your research first. There's a reason people call it Fleebay. You are easily fleeced if you don't do your research and pay VERY close attention to how ad's are worded.

The guy who owned it probably left it plugged in 24/7 and that's why the battery life sucks. If you fix the heatsink, it should last for years if well taken care of. But that can cost you almost half of what a brand new one runs if you don't know how to work on it yourself. When my ZD8000 had a fan go out, one of three, I was quoted $275 by a shop to have it replaced. Instead, I just waited until I got home and ordered the whole fan and heatsink assembly from HP for $50 and replaced it myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:34 pm 

my tx1000 died in less than 2 yrs. first wirless wasn't detected, then in 3 months screen wont boot, & motherboard needs replacement.

If I knew before I would've disabled NVIDIA!! It's the cause for all the overheating & motherboard burn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:47 pm 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

dido wrote:
my tx1000 died in less than 2 yrs. first wirless wasn't detected, then in 3 months screen wont boot, & motherboard needs replacement.

If I knew before I would've disabled NVIDIA!! It's the cause for all the overheating & motherboard burn.

erm... if you disable the video card, the laptop won't work.