Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Steampowered (half life 2) - no support at all!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:08 am 

Having purchased a retail version of Half Life 2, I successfully installed, registered on steam and played it for some time.
However, I had to reformat my HD at some point. Unfortunately, I lost my password, and the answer to the secret question that is necessary to reset the password. All other account information - cd key, account email address, account name is in good standing.
I tried emailing support@steampowered.com - so that they would reset the password and email it to me - nothing after three weeks now.
I filled a support ticket at steampowered.com, also nothing after two weeks.
I called Sierra support, and the the guy told me, I may have to exchange cd sets, so I can re-register with steam.
Overall it is a bad experience, of taking customer's money and being unable to do so something basic as to completely reset the password and email it to him!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:08 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Steam is teh bad... Videogames don't cause violence, retarded "security" features cause violence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:10 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I guess I'm gona ahve to take back my prediction that all the problem with steam would be resolved by now... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:11 pm 

Their is nothing wrong with steam its the user. The issue wouldn't have happend if you remembered the password or the awnser to the secret question. Granted they should have awnsered the e-mail by now, but the issue would not have happend if either one would have been remembered.

I have only had 1 problem with steam and that was after they released an update and I was unable to connect because of the patch. 10 Minutes later they released another patch which fixed it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:40 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

well dork, I think you miss the whole point.....if i pay $50 for a game (which I wont for HL2) I expect to be able to play it anytime I want to. I should not have to "log on" TO PROVE I OWN IT. In actuallity, you arent buying it but just renting it. You can only play it when they decide you can. If I pay $50 for something it shouldnt matter whether I remember a password or not......I should be able to play the dam thing. Whats next? Have to log on to use Windows XP, just to prove i own it?

FOLD UNTIL A CURE

P.S. if you want to deal with a company that believes everyone is a thief until proven innocent, go right ahead, because that is what they are doing with STEAM......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:52 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Well, I'll be reinstalling either today or tomorrow due to a bad HD. Will see what my experience is. I do think that I print screened the log in page when I 1st installed it for the kid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:56 am 

I know dork, I should have written down the password, but for some weird reason, I didn't.
I also filed a complaint with BBB and already received an email from them saying they forwarded it to Valve.
I think that everybody who has ever had a problem should file a compaling at www.bbb.org . Hopefully if there are enough people complaining, Valve will take notice.

Andrew.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:52 am 

Allright! After three weeks of waiting, finally received email from valve that my password has been reset. Now I just have to get home and make sure that it works.
Andrew.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:36 am 

Everything works fine. It's sad though, that in order to get any kind of customer service, I had to file a complaint with a BBB. Apparently this is the only way to get Valve to help you. In case any body else has similar issues, goto www.bbb.org .
Maybe Maximum PC should profile Valve in it's The Dog section of the print magazine.
Andrew.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:21 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Update- no problems what so ever on the reinstall. I let Libra do it, he installed, logged in; all is well. Just goes to show, save those passwords!