Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Special Windows 7 issue?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:50 am 

Just wondering if there are any plans for a special stand alone/quarterly issue devoted to just Windows 7. Stuff like tweaking, secrets, Easter Eggs, etc. It would be nice to have something like that from you guys at MPC. No one else would be able to cover it like you. Not trying to be a kiss ass but just stating the facts.
Regardless, keep up the great work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:08 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

i am sure there will be something like that in future issues. many of the articles before now have been pretty good in hyping up the Windows 7 release. when retail copies start hitting shelves, and users start picking them up, it's possible that you might see future tweaking/how-to articles for Windows 7.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:18 pm 

Well, MPC has done it again. After I posted the original message I went to Barnes & Noble to get the new Playboy (strictly for the Stephen King poem!) and there was the MPC December issue, "Make Windows Soar! 29 XP, Vista & Win7 Tips To Customize & Supercharge Your OS". Not devoted to Win7 but a good start. Plus I'll still be using XP on my older computer so the issue will help with that too. But it would still be nice to see an issue devoted to Win7.
Now, does anyone know when the Winter 2009 quarterly issue will be out? And why can't the quarterly issues be included with a subscription? Hell, it would be no problem at all to pay a higher subscription price to have the quarterly issues as well. And you know I'm definitely (note that it is spelled correctly) not the only one who feels this way. But really. I have always been curious as to why they aren't included with a subscription.

Post subject: Beware the Winter 2009 Issue
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:38 am 

As a loyal subscriber I look forward to the SPECIAL issues. I greedily grabbed the Winter 2009 issue and dove in with a gusto. The first article on Windows 7 was great, but then things went off a cliff. Starting at page 14 there were a series of republications of old articles. "Make your PC Better, faster, stronger" from the July 2009 issue. Page 28 "Fear not the BIOS" from the October issue. Even the first review of the "Polywell X5800A-Extreme" was also in the July issue.
None of this was declared on the cover to warn us. I've never seen a worse SPECIAL ISSUE in my life. Couldn't they find any new content? At least put in a hardware review that isn't 6 months old (considering the review was probably written 2 months before publication).
How do they justify the $9.95 price? That's a dollar more than a normal issue. I REALLY FEEL RIPPED OFF !!
:evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:57 pm 

Yeah. I feel like it's a "Best of" or "Greatest Hits (with one or two new songs)" of the last few months. Every time I picked it up and started reading it I thought I accidentally grabbed a recent past issue by mistake and would have to look at the date on the cover. But I lucked out when I bought it at one of the local Barnes & Noble. They had the UPC scanned in their system as $0.99. So it's not so bad.