Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Official December 2009 Feedback Thread!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:07 am 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

Here's a thread for you all to talk to editors about the December 2009 issue of Maximum PC!

Please don't post "Mine hasn't arrived yet" type comments in here. Likewise "there's a typo on page 25, you guys are soooo stupid" posts. Please feel free to start another thread for those issues.

Also, please try to limit "I haven't gotten my issue yet" posts

We're really interested in your feelings about the actual editorial content of the mag (please note, ads are not editorial content)

Also, if you haven't yet, subscribe to our podcast!

-nathan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:32 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

My comment is in regards to the LCD Roundup article. I must admit I'm really surprised that no monitor could get a score greater than 8. More so surprised that the a Samsung P2370HD TV/LCD display got highest marks.

Here I thought the Dell UltraSharp 2709W or UltraSharp U2410 would be picked for the roundup.

So does this make the Samsung P2370HD, MaximumPCs Best of The Best monitor?

Post subject: Publishing
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:10 pm 

I know you guys in Editoral probaly have no contol over this, but mabey you can foward this to someone who does, or tell me an email of someone who can,

but I hate when I'm getting December Issues in OCTOBER, you and PC Gamer do the same thing, I think its just Future US in general, Like another tech mag i get i got my November issue today, much more reasonable, like if you all just took a month off, then started back up, that would be about perfect. /end rant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:54 am 

It has been my understanding from reading years ago a reply either here or in the magazine that all that month's issues are sent out at the same time. Since they are sent as bulk mail, the post office uses it's own discretion on when it actually delivers the magazine to your mailbox. Apparently some post offices are quicker or slower than others in delivering their bulk mail. This supposedly accounts for the wide range of dates that subscribers actually receive their MPC. I just got mine this past Monday (Oct 19) for those keeping track at home. Also, perhaps another reason for receiving the mags so much earlier than the issue's stated date is that actually MPC puts out 13 issues a year.. 12 monthly plus the holiday issue which arrives in November. Maybe that is why once or twice a year it seems I receive two MPCs just 2 or 3 weeks apart from one other. That or it is because my regular postman is on vacation!!

One last thing.. am finally glad you started doing something I was silently advocating for years.. using the Dream Machine as the "zero point" machine. I thought doing this would keep systems a few months down the road from maxing out the charts so quickly. Plus people remember the setup of the Dream Machine easier than a nondescript zero point rig whose contents are printed in a super tiny font!! Gordon usually does a big write up when changing the zero point machine but I guess since none of the benchmarks changed and the Dream Machine has already been written about, there was no need to Gordon to write anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:26 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

I’m a MaxPC reader since Boot issue #5. Didn’t finish reading December issue yet (about ½ thru). Great stuff as usual, except for the “Through the Looking Glassâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:46 am 

Not sure if this is the right issue but I will post it here anyways...

I really liked the build your own arcade machine. I am going to try and do it myself. However, did I completely miss the configuration of it all? I see that you bought the button to keystroke item, but you never showed how to set it up or configure it.

Also, does it just operate as a computer when you turn it on? What OS do you recommend to use (Windows XP? Perhaps a Linux Distro?). Hopefully I can get some answers. :D

Thanks.

Post subject: Finally!! The ATI 5850
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:46 pm 

I'm a former boot fan and current MaxPC groupie, but I'm starting to wonder if my reverence for your awesomeness is misplaced. I should have seen the signs when we stopped getting hippopotamus trivia, but I blindly continued my worship. But this is going too far. A few years ago, I could not wait to get the new issue of MaximumPC because there was always some new, cutting edge technology up for review. MaxPC was always my first source for new video cards, sound cards, etc. But here it is in December, and we just got our very first whiff of the ATI 5850 cards. The Geforce GTX 275 card was still the 'best' 250$ card up until last issue. The problem is, I've had the ASUS EAH5850 running in my system since October!! Come on guys! Where were you on this one? Not only were you slow on that, but in your huge video card review, you didn't even mention the 5970s. I fear that you are slipping. Please pull yourselves out of your video game 'testing' sessions a little faster and give me the cutting edge info I need!!