Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Cleaning your PC --- With a Vacuum Cleaner ???
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:03 am 

I am a long time reader (think "Boot" era), and for the first time I have to take issue with something you suggest. In the "Clean Your PC" article you suggest using a vacuum cleaner inside a computer. Your may want to mention that since vacuum cleaners are a great way to generate static electricity that it is possible (and quite easy) to fry computer components if you happen to get a little too close or (worse yet) touch anything other than the case. I have actually watched a friend toast a motherboard (I did warn him). I personally would strongly discourage using a vacuum anywhere other than than the outside of the case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:11 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

I've been using a small shop vac to clean computers since 1990. Haven't toasted anything yet. It's not likely you'll harm anything unless you're just completely careless around electronics. I would imagine the large majority of MaximumPC readers have enough knowledge to use the simplest of ESD precautions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:53 am 
Super Mario Banhammer
Super Mario Banhammer

Just vacuumed out the dust from my wife's gaming rig yesterday. Lots of high end parts in that machine that I paid for. Lots of data on the drives. Lots of grief if I screwed it up. I sucked dust into the vacuum cleaner right off the Graphics Card and within discharge distance of the ram and cpu. No loss of high end pc parts. No loss of data and no grief. Why? I did it properly. Case standing on an anti static pad, me grounded to a wall socket, vacuum likewise grounded and didnt actually come in to close proximity to the components.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:49 pm 

I've always used a vacuum cleaner, i got all the small attachments also, sure makes cleaning cpu heatsinks alot easier. i've never fried anything yet, but the fans i'll totally remove from the case to clean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:03 pm 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

I use cans of compressed air.

Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:32 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

Not using a vacuum is kind of like using a static-wrist thing. You can get by an incredibly high percentage of times, but do you really want to risk it?

Me, I value my dollars, so I make sure to only use a compressed air can inside (and to do a test spray to make sure that little reservoir of condensation is out of the nozzle).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:28 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

If you use a grounded outlet, the vacuum will only generate static electricity if it's faulty. That ground prong is there for a reason. Also, I use compressed air cans, and then a vacuum cleaner to suck up all the dust it kicks up- I don't just take the vacuum straight to the parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:34 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

i take my PC to the garage and use an air compressor. turn it on, and when it hits 50 PSI... go to town on cleaning PC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:04 am 
Team Member
Team Member

bingojubes wrote:
i take my PC to the garage and use an air compressor. turn it on, and when it hits 50 PSI... go to town on cleaning PC.

You will hear people complain that the condensation that a compressor makes will cause you problems.
(I do the same thing though)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:43 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

-Lawless wrote:
bingojubes wrote:

You will hear people complain that the condensation that a compressor makes will cause you problems.

So do I. Saves a shit ton of money on canned air doesn't it? And an in-line filter that removes condensation from the compressor tank supply is pretty cheap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:48 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

-Lawless wrote:
bingojubes wrote:

I have used air compressors to clean hundreds of PCs. We purchased several air compressors when I was in Kuwait, and that was their sole purpose. There was a ton of dirt, dust, sand powder, and other crap in the Desktops & Laptops. I've never seen anything like it, and never had or heard of a problem when we used the air compressors. People that complain about them don't know what they're talking about, or they did something stupid and blame the compressor. Their alternative isn't any better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:13 am 
Klamath
Klamath

quote] I have used air compressors to clean hundreds of PCs. We purchased several air compressors when I was in Kuwait, and that was their sole purpose. [/quote]

I am doing the exact same thing in Iraq right now. Works wonderfully.