Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: WRT600N and Wireless Routers
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:27 am 

I was going through some of my old magazines from last year that I will be giving away to the local barber shop, so people like me have something to read, and I came across the April issue with the review of the Linksys WRT 600N wireless router. You gave it a 9 and a Kick Ass product review. I have been wanting to upgrade my home network, and was going to buy one of these, but finding one seems to be a problem as I have a hard time paying close to 300 big ones for a used router on ebay. Over the last year I have not seen too much in home networking, or anything that was given another 9. Even in later issues you guys still recommend the 600N. Is there anything that comes close to this router, or could you pit it up against the latest and greatest. That may give me all the justification I need to get the used router.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:51 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

that's outdated. There are definitely ones just as good still in production.

Post subject: Re: WRT600N and Wireless Routers
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:35 pm 
Folding for Elena
Folding for Elena

rdeperrodil wrote:
I was going through some of my old magazines from last year that I will be giving away to the local barber shop, so people like me have something to read, and I came across the April issue with the review of the Linksys WRT 600N wireless router. You gave it a 9 and a Kick Ass product review. I have been wanting to upgrade my home network, and was going to buy one of these, but finding one seems to be a problem as I have a hard time paying close to 300 big ones for a used router on ebay. Over the last year I have not seen too much in home networking, or anything that was given another 9. Even in later issues you guys still recommend the 600N. Is there anything that comes close to this router, or could you pit it up against the latest and greatest. That may give me all the justification I need to get the used router.

wow considering a brand new one that is one step better (the 610N) is less than $180 i would stay away from ebay and maybe try your local store??? i've never seen the 600N at $300... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:59 am 

I understand the 610 is the newer model, but I haven't seen any benchmarks that state that it is actually better. New does not always mean better. I do not like that router for a couple reasons: It does not have external antennas, and dd-wrt or tomato are not supported as of yet. I appreciate the replies but I was hoping that someone from MaxPC would maybe put some router benchmarks in an upcoming issue to test the latest, or maybe give their take on which router they have seen perform the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:13 am 

On another note if you check the best of the best link from the homepage of mpc, and go down to about the 3rd page, the 600n is still listed as the best of the best.