Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Official November 2009 Feedback Thread
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:26 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

Here's a thread for you all to talk to editors about whatever the hell issue is in the subject line above!

Please don't post "Mine hasn't arrived yet" type comments in here. Likewise "there's a typo on page 25, you guys are soooo stupid" posts. Please feel free to start another thread for those issues.

Also, please try to limit "I haven't gotten my issue yet" posts

We're really interested in your feelings about the actual editorial content of the mag (please note, ads are not editorial content)

Also, if you haven't yet, subscribe to our podcast!

///Will

PS I'm getting a little ahead here, but you guys should start getting the issue around the 12th.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:29 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

I like coverleaf's new design and I loved the fanboy rant. I hope your mom doesn't find The Break Room :lol:

Pg 21 8GB of RAM is Too Much?
I've seen from personal experience and on several forums that the GIGABYTE P35/45 Advanced Timings can be a real pain. A little extra NB (MCH) voltage doesn't hurt either! The defaults seem horrible when you exceed 800Mhz or go above 2Gb of RAM. It varies a little, but the memory manufacturers don't advertise the correct values and their customer/tech support doesn't help.

Post subject: A little critique
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:31 pm 

I like the mag or I wouldn't get it. I see some things to improve.

Uh, Clean You PC? Reminds me of Build your Own Dream Machine.

Articles to close together.

No more The List. It's rarely even humorous but I know that list's sell...ala all the covers that read 9 of this 41 of that.

But what galled me most was the cover deception "Transform your old PC into an awesome server...."

Which becomes Build a Windows home server.....no transforming going on there. I know the steps are the same but truth always wins out.

MORE Norman Chan. He is bright writes well and is mature.

Less of Gordon, please. I think he keeps the mag kinda stagnant.

Thanks for the forum to express opinion in a non threatening way

Post subject: maximum pc cd in nov 09 issue
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:41 pm 

im not sure if this is the right spot to type this but....

i just purchased your magazine and used your cd and the audacity file contained a trojan horse back door 11atga and it infected my Diablo 2 exe file and im wondering why your magazine had a trojan in it

Thanks,
-Michael

Post subject: Re: maximum pc cd in nov 09 issue
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:31 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

linkavich wrote:

i just purchased your magazine and used your cd and the audacity file contained a trojan horse back door 11atga and it infected my Diablo 2 exe file and im wondering why your magazine had a trojan in it

Thanks,
-Michael
No way, it must have been a false positive or something else :? Unless you bought it from a con artist :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:02 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

We scan each disc three times at our offices and at the production house, with three different antivirus scanners. I just scanned Audacity from the November disc with www.virustotal.com, and found absolutely nothing in the file. Don't know if this will work, but the results are here: http://bit.ly/nrKRM

My hunch would be that you were infected through some other vector (PDF, Flash, another app, or any number of other potentials), and you just happened to install Audacity around the same time you found the infection.

Post subject: Build a Home Server
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:33 am 

I'm very interested in the parts for building a home server as you guys built in the Nov issue. However i have two questions:
1. The power supply, i checked the web and found 3 different ones from Rosewill RP550-2 & RP550V2-D-SL & RP550V2-S-SL. I'm not sure of the difference between the 3 but the price is $49 - 69.99. i did a compair on the three but still couldn't tell much different, one had 2 smalller fans, 1 had 1 bigger fan, but nothing huge that i could tell the difference on - especially for $20 difference.

also you said the system will support up to 6 sata drives but i'm seeing that all 3 of these power supplies all have 4 sata power connectors. so how can you plug up to 6 sata drives when there is only 4 sata power connections?

2. The memory, i know ddr2 but there are different types still even for ddr2 800. i found this kit at newegg: CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5 - Retail for about $25 more and you get twice the amount of RAM

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Build a Home Server
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:54 am 
Million Club [PC]
Million Club [PC]

benkramer68 wrote:
I'm very interested in the parts for building a home server as you guys built in the Nov issue. However i have two questions:
1. The power supply, i checked the web and found 3 different ones from Rosewill RP550-2 & RP550V2-D-SL & RP550V2-S-SL. I'm not sure of the difference between the 3 but the price is $49 - 69.99. i did a compair on the three but still couldn't tell much different, one had 2 smalller fans, 1 had 1 bigger fan, but nothing huge that i could tell the difference on - especially for $20 difference.

also you said the system will support up to 6 sata drives but i'm seeing that all 3 of these power supplies all have 4 sata power connectors. so how can you plug up to 6 sata drives when there is only 4 sata power connections?

2. The memory, i know ddr2 but there are different types still even for ddr2 800. i found this kit at newegg: CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5 - Retail for about $25 more and you get twice the amount of RAM

Thanks

this should probably be split, but I'll go ahead and help you out. First, you don't have to use a Rosewill PSU, nor a 550W, its just what they happened to use. a server with integrated won't really pull much of anything, getting a cheaper SeaSonic PSU or other reliable brand (don't mean to criticize MaxPC, but I haven't had the best experiences with Rosewill quality), such as this SeaSonic 300W. That'll be plenty of power for a server. also, as for SATA power connections, drives don't pull enough power to make using a Y-adapter to get the extra connectors a problem.
As for RAM, what matters is you want a heat spreader to prolong the RAM's life, and then just get the best deal. You can even get slower DDR2 667 and be just fine. For a server, if you're not running VM's and such, you can just get 2GB of RAM and save the cash.
hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:24 pm 

In your "Multiscreen Madness" item (part of the Tech Preview feature), you imply that the total resolution of the 2x3 monitor array is 7680x4800. However, with each monitor spec'd at 2560x1600, would the total resolution not be 7680x3200? A nine-monitor config would yield 7680x4800, and while that would be pretty damn sweet, I don't think that's what AMD had going on.

Could you please clarify?

Post subject: Re: maximum pc cd in nov 09 issue
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:12 am 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

linkavich wrote:

Thanks,
-Michael

Just a note to confirm that this resulted from a false-positive by AVG, not from anything on our disk, and happened to many other Diablo 2 owners due to an AVG definition update that has since been fixed.

Post subject: Re: Build a Home Server
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:55 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Spartacus wrote:
benkramer68 wrote:

Thanks

this should probably be split, but I'll go ahead and help you out.

Agreed. I split out ben's reply to you, Spartacus, and started a new thread in the Free Clinic HERE. Hopefully, he'll get more help in the Clinic than he would with his build issues hidden in this feedback thread.

If you could amble over there and try to continue helping him, I'd appreciate it. Thanks bud! :)

Post subject: Nov. 09 issue, pg 22-23.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:13 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

On the page of "The Technology of 2010" all caps, that mechanical arm thats holding the CPU, what is it called? I sure can use the "arm" to do my soldering or whenever I need a "third arm". any name for that handy tool?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:32 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

I think it's actually called a third hand, or something similar. Watchmakers and electronics techs use them.