Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: HL2 Jan. 2005
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:38 pm 
Team Member/ Ex-Team Member/ Team Member

11 score pretty much sums up your thoughts on HL2. Surely a great game but I would think there should be a deduction for the fact that it has to be activated online. Not everyone games online and what a pain just to play a game. I know theft is a problem but surely there's something better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:51 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I'd agree that steam activation really sucked, but did it actually take that much away from how great a game HL2 was? I'm not so sure ... I think Half Life 2 was totally worth activating, and I'm willing to pardon Valve/Steam for making the installation inconvenient for us gamers.

It was an experiment really, and if it catches on, other companies will likely follow suit (in terms of activating online).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:44 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Quote:
We're not going to deduct points from Half Life 2's more-than-perfect score becasue of flaws with the online ditribution for two reasons. One, there are always problems and hassles with new technologies like this. Two, we rate games, not publishing methods. Once the kinks are worked out, we think systems like Steam, which allow online distribution and fight piracy will do nothing but help gaming on the PC platform

January 2005 issue page 10 "...AND SO IS HALF-LIFE 2?" response paragraph 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:30 pm 

Thats maxpc pandering to advertisers no doubt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:46 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

I don't think it was pandering, I think they made a judgement call that half the people will agree with, and half won't.

I haven't gotten my Jan issue yet, so obviously I haven't read the full review. I do fall into that "won't" category however. I understand that games get the rating and not the publishing method, but it's a package as a whole. You can't purchase HL2 without the publishing method, so in essence, it is part of the game.

Now, I'm not saying whether HL2's specific publishing method (STEAM activation) deserved a deduction for the game, but I am saying that it should, IMO, play a part in the overall rating since it's part of the gaming package the consumer purchases.

Overall, a minor detail to me. The game rocked and I don't have to agree with MaxPC's decision on the rating to understand it. They mentioned it in their review so we, as readers, are free to make our own mental deductions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:30 am 

The one redeeming factor could be the ability to go to the local Game Spot store and buy a used pc game if the game can't be stolen by copying. Otherwise it's just a pain in the rear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:13 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

We played the game back in October prior to it's launch, so we didn't experience the launch process prior to writing the review. Even if we had, our personal experience was painless. For me, it activated at 12:03 AM on that monday night and installed and ran flawlessly. We're aware that some people had issues (maybe a lot of people), but we still wouldn't factor that into our verdict because we're reviewing the game, not the publishing methods. As it stands, as was stated previously, it had its share of bugs but it's a revolution for the industry that both helps prevent piracy and also helps game developers. If anything, that's a plus for valve, not a minus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:08 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

joshnorem wrote:
We played the game back in October prior to it's launch, so we didn't experience the launch process prior to writing the review. Even if we had, our personal experience was painless. For me, it activated at 12:03 AM on that monday night and installed and ran flawlessly. We're aware that some people had issues (maybe a lot of people), but we still wouldn't factor that into our verdict because we're reviewing the game, not the publishing methods. As it stands, as was stated previously, it had its share of bugs but it's a revolution for the industry that both helps prevent piracy and also helps game developers. If anything, that's a plus for valve, not a minus.

I guess so....

Post subject: SDK and havok/netcode flaws.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:59 pm 

I wouldn't give it an 11/10.

It is an imperfect game because of the poor foundation for a modifiable game. The SDK itself is inferior in some technical aspects (IMHO, and I'm using it) to the Doom 3 SDK and while its network support is superior to Doom 3, HL2 has a fair amount of issues to overcome before it can reach its true moddable potential.

However, they do have several excuses why HL2's SDK & network didn't work very well, including difficulties getting the havoc2 engine to perform as smoothly as they did yet still allow people to mod the engine.

The game is a great step forward, but by no means perfect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:01 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Including the SDK in the review verdict? Cmon, now you're really reaching. The review was for the single player game and that alone. As stated, it's not a perfect game, but it's DAMN close, and is the best single player game we've ever played, thus the 11/10 verdict.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:26 pm 

Breaking your own scale is a bit "reaching" on its own. ;)

Would you hand out an 11 to a CPU if you couldn't overclock it very well? A game's modifiability is a huge factor of its own. Compare games like Star Wars: Battle front to FarCry to BF: Vietnam to the various Unreal Trounaments to Total Annihilation.

SWBF has no SDK, FarCry promised a SDK but didn't deliver what fans expected, BF:V has a fair mod foundation but it's still limited.

The last few games and others like them are legendary in their fan support. UT2k4's mod competition has produced some of the greatest mod content I have seen in a while. Total Annihilation survives to this day because of its fan's ability to modify the game.

In a normal review I would expect the SDK to be an afterthought... but if this is the "best game ever" to the extent that you're breaking your scale you've got to consider a greater number of factors. You're going to have to consider giving out more 11's in gaming if this is your standard for excellence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:29 pm 

Thats all fine but do you think that pc games will be able to be resold if the copy protection works. That is the one redeeming factor for the extra trouble. Also what about being able to run on a virtual drive and are backups of cd's still possible? I ruined my cd for Medal of Honor and had to send it in and pay for a new one $7.50 cheaper than a new game but still not acceptable so now I backup all my cd's. These things are not indestructable. We're being confined more and more because they can't protect themselves. Personally if it comes to be that confining I'll just stop playing their games and do other things, computers are great fun but their not everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:03 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

joshnorem wrote:
As stated, it's not a perfect game, but it's DAMN close, and is the best single player game we've ever played, thus the 11/10 verdict.

Uhm, from my perspective, 11/10 = beyond perfect, NOT nearly perfect. Perfect being 10/10, nearly perfect being something like 9.9 / 10, but you could just as easily have said, "the single glitch we found was so minor that it had little effect. However because we did find an issue we can't award a 10, so here's a 9.999998 / 10"

You simply do not award 11/10 for something that you yourself said "As stated, it's not a perfect game, but it's DAMN close".

What are you going to do next year when something even more revolutionary comes out, give it a 12/10?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:09 pm 

Quote:
Uhm, from my perspective, 11/10 = beyond perfect, NOT nearly perfect. Perfect being 10/10, nearly perfect being something like 9.9 / 10, but you could just as easily have said, "the single glitch we found was so minor that it had little effect. However because we did find an issue we can't award a 10, so here's a 9.999998 / 10"

You simply do not award 11/10 for something that you yourself said "As stated, it's not a perfect game, but it's DAMN close".

What are you going to do next year when something even more revolutionary comes out, give it a 12/10?

omg...10/10 is not perfect!! otherwise MPC wouldnt have ever given a 10. 10 just means really really good. go find some of ur old MPC magazines you'll see that most of the time even a 10 has a few flaws.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:15 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

rick_2489 wrote:
omg...10/10 is not perfect!! otherwise MPC wouldnt have ever given a 10. 10 just means really really good. go find some of ur old MPC magazines you'll see that most of the time even a 10 has a few flaws.

Not even a few... all of 'em have just one very minor flaw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:46 pm 

OCNoob wrote:
rick_2489 wrote:

Not even a few... all of 'em have just one very minor flaw.

I have a minor flaw too, I buy this mag. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:43 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

rick_2489 wrote:

Point being however, what the hell do you give the next product that exceeds the one you just broke your scale for. I'll freely admit I haven't played HL2, though I did give the demo a run, it was ok however the stuttering to me is one bug that simply should have been caught during the past year plus of beta testing. It's not like it was rushed to market. They've had an enormous amount of time to test it on a wide range of hardware, and the fact that the stuttering shows up on a wide range shows that it's a fairly fundamental flaw. The demo should have have been a little bit more inclusive, atleast the Q1, 2 and 3 demos had a replayability factor, I've done the HL2 demo now, I may or may not buy the game. I simply wasn't as impressed with it as the hype suggests I should have been. To me, this does not a 10 make, let alone an 11.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:32 am 
Willamette
Willamette

People are free to disagree with our game reviews, as they are a bit more subjective than a benchmark-based hardware review.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:22 am 
Willamette
Willamette

joshnorem wrote:
People are free to disagree with our game reviews, as they are a bit more subjective than a benchmark-based hardware review.

Josh I agree with ya. Although I still dont know what you mean by (something along the lines of...) "The most dazzling experience for a gamer ever" or something like that. You wouldnt say what so that you wouldnt ruin the game. I finished it but I cant recall...