Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed May 06, 2015 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: revolving door
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:00 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

OK, so I'm an issue behind. But what are you guys doing to your editors? I've been a subscriber for about a decade now, and this past couple years has seen huge turnover. I still love this magazine, and all I can say is you guys best do whatever it takes to keep Gordon around.

Post subject: Re: revolving door
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:56 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Well, that was depressingly prescient.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:32 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

wow, you're right. I didn't get you until I looked at the blog. Anyone know why?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:17 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Quote:
Anyone know why?

I can't say with any certainty but my gut instinct isn't good. I hope I'm wrong.

So you first had Josh Norem. Can't say it was a huge surprise - he had left once before and he explained that his side business (pet photography) was getting to a size that he needed to decide whether he was going to invest in it and make it a full-time gig. Made Sense. I really liked Josh because he revitalized the podcast, for which I am truly grateful.

Katherine Stevenson was next. A little surprised but she said she had an opportunity to go to a arts and crafts periodical. If that is something she enjoys as a hobby (which I could believe is true), then it was understandable that she would make the move. I will admit, I liked her writing style a lot. I hated seeing her leave.

Alaina Yee was a bit of a surprise. She had barely made her mark and she was off. I don't know if she actually said where she was going at the time but it ended up being IGN. Also, she never really said why but out of all the instances, this is the first one that raised a mental red flag. I wanted to like Alaina but I never really felt like I got to know her.

Gordon was a huge surprise. I honestly thought he would retire from MPC. I don't know what his plans are, I don't think he said. Considering he is well known within the industry, he could easily find a job with another periodical or technology website...or he could even be picked up by a manufacturer or other major company in the industry. I'm eager to find out what happens with him and I wish him only the best.

But before I found out about Gordon's departure, I received the most recent issue of MPC (December 2014). Anyone who subscribes to the magazine is familiar with Halfhill's and McDonald's articles. Both are usually given one column in a 2 or 3 column page. But not with this issue: they both became full page splashes. Not only did it seem odd, but it wasn't mentioned as a design change. My guess? Advertising fell through. And if it's at a point that it's impacting production runs, then it's not a pretty situation.

Now, I'm sure Gordon (or anyone else on the MPC team for that matter) has nothing to do with advertisements, but if the parent company (Future) is having a hard time with advertising, then the magazine may be in a precarious situation. After all, everyone knows print media (newspapers especially, but also magazines) are a dying medium. PC Mag, Computer Shopper, PC World...? These were major players in technology 10 years ago; now, they are digital only and a shell of what they once were.

Someone else postulated that Future may have cut staff salaries, benefits, or both. That's certainly a possibility. If Gordon was higher on the spectrum of salaries (which would make sense), then he may have been facing a pretty substantial hit financially.

I'm not so sure that's the case. I'm afraid we may be seeing the last of the print magazine. If that happens, advertising evaporates at an even faster pace. Less advertising means less money, fewer employees. Worst case scenario: MPC ceases to exist.

I believe Gordon was at a crossroads: either jump before the inevitable...or go down with the ship. He went with the former.

Again, I have no evidence or proof. It is purely speculation. But when I look at all that's happened, it's the most logical explanation.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:31 am 

Was going to start a thread, but found this one.

Just wanted to say that I miss Gordon of course, but I also miss Quinn Norton's column which disappeared several issues ago. Seems like a weird time to lose the mag's main net freedom reporter and advocate. Is our magazine becoming MaxPC Lite?

Frank

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:58 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
I noticed that Gordon did an article for PC World in early Jan. and is listed as an executive editor there. he also has articles in Mac World which being a sister publication would stand to reason.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:54 pm 

He's gone over to the Dark Side - oh, the humanity.