Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Stop the presses!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:42 am 

i just finished reading the Dec issue and i got a couple bones to pick with the magazine. You guys picked the amd fx-55 cpu as gear of the year, which is a great choice, but then for the motherboard you picked the asus p5uad2p Intel for gear of the year board...hmm...you guys mind clueing me in on what board you'd stick that fx-55 in? And i also caught a glimps of the upcoming January issue titles... halflife 2 is in it? Why? i already read that in last months issue of your sister mag Pcgamer! And please don't put any more filler articles about how a cpu is made in my magazine, it's just plain boring! I'd prefer to read another current how to build an $15,000 entertainment p.c or how to replace the lcd on a dell inspiron and actually put it back together with tech drawing you can down load from dells website. Or how bout an article on water cooling like all the cool water blocks from dangerden or is alienware liquid cooling a plain jane koolance setup indesigner clothes? how bout fitting a watercooling setup in a antec aria or shuttle system. With work arounds included because theres always unforseen problems in projects like them. Bottom line is the magazine is starting to get stale like a warm beer, some old school modding might freshen up and add spice to it. And i would also like to see a dvd only disc, this way you could put cool video clip tutorials on them and other things almost like an extension to the magazine. I'm not asking for much, just like to get my moneys worth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:48 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Speaking on behalf of myself and not MPC...

The P5AD2 is the most feature rich, performance oriented board available (at least until nForce4 hits), which is why you saw an Intel mobo instead of an AMD one. On the CPU front, it gets no better than an FX-55. The best mobo you could couple the FX chip with is, IMO, the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum.

stoneyman wrote:
And please don't put any more filler articles about how a cpu is made in my magazine, it's just plain boring!

I really disagree with this. Two of the most interesting articles that stand out to me are the the above mentioned and the one awhile back on the intricities of the internals of a hard drive. These kinds of articles are awesome reads for any PC enthusiast, as the technology is just mind boggling. I'd actually like to see more of this.

And on a side note, welcome to the forum stoney.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:23 am 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

I agree with One4yu2c..."How stuff works" and "How stuff is made" are the best damn things to read about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:02 am 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

We like to do a fair mix of "How to do stuff" "How stuff works or is made" and "Inner secrets of Stuff" stories throughout the year.

Naturally, we know that we can't write stories that every single reader will enjoy, so we try to get a mix that keeps everyone happy.

If we have a hardcore "How something works" story one month, we'll do a really good How-to story that month to balance it out.

As always, if you feel you're not getting your money's worth, I'd suggest resubscribing next time with the $12 no CD version. If you can't find a dollar's worth of value in every issue, I'd be very surprised.

///Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 6:15 pm 

The, "How cpu's are made" was a nice article, but i thought it was a little too drawn out, what four pages long? Maybe it's just me.

Don't get me wrong, you guys have nice magazine, it's just sometimes....

And i don't subscribe to the magazine, so the cd is not an issue. I just suggested if you had a dvd instead of a cd, you could maybe extend the articles on say some video clip turtorials.

I would also like to mention, do we really need to waste our preicious pages by putting highlights of the last 100 issues in there? maybe it's a good place for that article on the disc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:44 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

drainbread wrote:
I agree with One4yu2c..."How stuff works" and "How stuff is made" are the best damn things to read about.

Quoted for support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:07 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I loved the idea of the article as well. Unlike stoneyman, however, I felt wanting a little more. I think it's a great idea, as so many really don't have one clue about what goes on in a CPU. Readers and posters can talk all day about 120nm to 90nm process changes, but weather one can understand what it truely is can be questioned (90nm doesn't make things cooler by default). I felt wanting basically as there were still questions to be asked. How do they get 4 or more speed settings out of one lot of CPU's? Does stepping changes mean core changes? I see "validation", but that as well was pretty undermined (big interest of mine). And what's a real ingot look like being grown? I had simply thought it was giving just enough info to make people dangerous...but then again, it may have been aiming at just the "manufacturing processes in the birth of a CPU" and not the entire ordeal in the birth.

Maybe I'm the boring type, but I read each letter and punctuation point in the article...and already knew how CPU's are made...and then some:p That article could have a great follow up by diving into the die itself. We've all seen the pictures (maps) of dies when they roll out, but does everyone "get" them? How does the magic of computation actually occur? What's beyond 90 or even 75nm? Moore's Law has been dieing...is it dead?

Hey, I'm on the flipside I guess. But I have needed more than MP3 player reviews and PDA articles for a long time. The fore-mentioned hard drive article was dug up this past weekend just due to the lack of strong issues lately...still a good read. I say it was among the best articles MPC has done along with the fab process. Huzaah!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:59 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The in-depth tech stuff is why I buy the mag. Sure, it takes a bit of reading and re-reading to understand what's going on sometimes, but sometimes you just have to deny yourself that instant gratification syndrome that so many people get trapped into.

Carry on MaximumPC!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:28 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Yeah, the RAM article was a good one too, even if I did have to read it twice to really get it. MPC does a good job balancing the content of their issues, and I too like the "How things ar made" articles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:49 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

Yah, I think they know that a certain percentage of the magazine readers are going to glaze over when they see articles like how a a prescott is made, or how ram works, etc. Not every in-depth article is going to appeal to, or even be understood by everyone. But for people who care, there just aren't that many other places that talk about such things, and even fewer that do it so that someone without a Masters degree in the appropriate field can understand them. For tech investors, these types of articles can lend a lot of insight, as well, since it can help decode the hype around any particular innovation. MPC i think does a pretty good job of walking a line in this department. Too many articles of advanced nature might make too fine a niche for them, but too few might lose the interest of the hardcore. I think the balance is pretty good right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:06 pm 

Chumly wrote:
what's a real ingot look like being grown?
Go to Google and select Images and do a search on silicon ingot. There are pictures of finished ingots, a seed being pulled out of a reactor vessel as well as images of ingots being ground for roundness and wire cut into wafers. For an explanation of the process here's a link to Wacker Siltronics explanation.
http://www.wafernet.com/PresWK/h-ptl-as3_wsc_siltronic_com_pages_training_pages_Silicon_Poly-2.htm

BTW, radiation hardened chips for military applications use a sapphire substrate instead of silicon. The are grown in a somewhat similar mannger to silicon ingots but they are referred to as a boule. Ruby for laser applications is grown the same way. If you want to see something really wild a 65lb sapphire or ruby crystal coming out of the reactor vessel is pretty high up on the list.

oc