Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Subscription spoofing??
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:37 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Hey all, I got a letter in the mail today that I think other subscribers should be aware of. I would have fallen for it had I not recently checked my sub status here online. If it's legit, then I need to fix the error because I'm not set to renew for another 15 months as I buy 2 or 3 years at a time...and always have and will.

It's a renewal letter from United Publishers Network (355 Industrial Circle White City , OR 97503 - 1800/221-6068). It states that my subscription to MaximumPC must be renewed. It also states that I must pay $36.00 in installments of $18 (3 payments, natch!).

It looks official, and the really small text that caught me is as follows:
"Your subscription to MAXIMUM PC is automatic with receipt of you payment when you choose to renew or order a new subscription. Fortunately, by acting now, you can lock in at one of our lowest rates!"

Other than that, there's no real way of telling weather this is a "cold call" trying to get me to subscribe through them or what...but my current subscription isn't done for several years from now:p If this were sent to a subscriber that buys on an annual basis, you'd really think this was a legitimate letter from a MPC contractor (or of Image Media).

The savings aren't all that good anyway as they state "75% off cover" and don't even tell you weather that's with the CD or not. But the online renewal clearly states "77% off" and is the CD version.

If others get this, be warned that I don't think it's a) Actually from MPC or Future Networks b) worth a damn in value.

Now for the real question...What I'm really curious about is how they know that I'm an MPC subscriber and how in the hell they got my address! Future/MPC...please don't tell me you sell our names, addresses, and email addresses to third party vendors. I go to great lengths to stay away from cold calling telemarketers, spam, and junk mail...and I can't get rid of stuff like this with Adaware or Spybot:p

------------------------------------
Chumly's info:

Account Status: Active Paid
Issue Information:

The first issue of your current order is Jan 1, 2004
Your subscription will expire with the Mar 1, 2006.
Maximum PC is published 12 times per year.

Order Information:

Your current order for 24 issues was received on 12/15/2003.

You have no other orders associated with this account.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:03 pm 
V||V
V||V

that's really bizarre. ever get it figured out?

-R