Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Not a complete 23-Inch LCD Showdown
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:22 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I was really looking forward to the 23-Inch LCD monitor showdown in the latest issue of my bible "Maximum PC", but to my surprise there was no Apple Cinema Display?

Aren't you guys going to review this monitor; you don't seem to have a problem getting you hands on an iPod. Though I have to say I'm surprised to find that HP's 23-Inch LCD outdid Sony's. Makes me wonder if Apple stands a chance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:50 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

The new Apple display wasn't available in time for the December issue. Katherine is reviewing it for inclusion (hopefully) in the February issue.

///Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:57 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

WillSmith wrote:
The new Apple display wasn't available in time for the December issue. Katherine is reviewing it for inclusion (hopefully) in the February issue.

///Will

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm looking forward to reading it. :D

Post subject: Re: Not a complete 23-Inch LCD Showdown
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:14 pm 

malebolgia wrote:
I have to say I'm surprised to find that HP's 23-Inch LCD outdid Sony's. Makes me wonder if Apple stands a chance.
The LG Philips LM230W02 is one and only 16ms 23" widescreen panel on the market and it's shared by all of the monitors being sold, so don't expect big differences between brands. Sure, the electronics differ to a small degree, and as a result to my eyes the BenQ scales slightly better than the HP.

Regardles, currently HP's L2335 is the monitor to beat @ $1599 from HP online direct. There are forums with discussions over 30 pages long about this monitor on both computer and AV forums. No idea why MPC chose the f2304 to review, as it costs $500 more and the only difference is that the f2304 has a non-adjustable base and has integral speakers, which is not a plus in my book. The f2304 is more like an HDTV in appearance than a monitor to my thinking. It's clearly intended for consumer, I question whether serious gamers will want the tweezy speakers and attractive but non-ajdustable base. Availability shouldn't have been an issue, as both monitors have been around since last June as I recall with the other models piddling into the channel over the next 3 months.

BTW, the Sony 23" is produced for them by LG (formerly Lucky Goldstar) in China. Only Apple, BenQ, Philips and LG are actually doing their own assemply on 23" widescreen LCD monitors as far as I've been able to discover, regardless of the name on the box, which is pretty typical of current business practice.

The Apple 23" looks way cool, but it doesn't outperform the HP, it costs considerably more, and it does not have on-monitor buttons so it relies totally on the software controls, not a plus in my experience. It's base is also not as adjustable as the L2335 and as I recall it does not rotate to portrait position either. It does look great on a desk however.

The good news is that regardless which of these monitors you choose it's a win. You will do just fine if you only choose based on a pleasing design and price. In a pefect world all decisions would be this easy.

oc