Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: A note to readers about the December disc
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:30 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

hey everyone,

Just letting you know ahead of time that the December issue that goes to subscribers includes a CD per the subscription agreement, but newstand copies have a DVD.

We're not trying to screw the subscribers or anything, we just had too many games to put on a CD so we did a one-shot DVD for the holidays. Unfortunately, the rules prevent us from offering it to subscribers.

However, if you would like a DVD and are a subscriber, just email me your info and I'll be happy to send one out. It has rougly the same apps/utilities as the CD but it has 12 game demos as opposed to two on the CD.

Happy Holidays,

Josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:27 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Can I have one? My mailman did a bad thing to my issue.

j/k .. I don't want or need one. But there will be a thread about this months bout of "printing errors" :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:40 pm 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

damn your mailman and his sick fetish :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:43 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

it wasnt his mailman! i just recieved this months issue and low and behold the same thing happened to a page on my issue. i'm not gonna send it back or anything but it was interesting to know that. for the brains at maxpc: look into your printers' quality control. its like while the ink was wet someone let water drip on it and run down. i dunno but it seems to be happening to more then one person so maybe people outside the forum have the same deal going on? maybe just something to look into if it really does happen to more people then just myself and urmumsacow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:51 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

drainbread wrote:
damn your mailman and his sick fetish :lol:

It's worse than you think, his desires have turned sinister :shock:

gramaton cleric wrote:
it wasnt his mailman! i just recieved this months issue and low and behold the same thing happened to a page on my issue. i'm not gonna send it back or anything but it was interesting to know that. for the brains at maxpc: look into your printers' quality control. its like while the ink was wet someone let water drip on it and run down. i dunno but it seems to be happening to more then one person so maybe people outside the forum have the same deal going on? maybe just something to look into if it really does happen to more people then just myself and urmumsacow.

Can you describe what is wrong? Mine looks like my mailman murdered someone on page 96 :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:27 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Could be the central mail sorting op that is leaking. Take a poll of all those affected with 'drippy' pages and see if they come from the same region.

I don't subscribe (long story) just pick up at local news outlet, and once in awhile I get a drippy page as well. I just figgered the news-stand operator was getting excited.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:17 am 

I had that happen with my November issue (I remember somebody else had it too). It's like the pages weren't dry and got stuck together, and then some was left behind when they got pulled apart.

Definitely an issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:59 pm 

I haven't even received my December issue yet, wats up with dat? I always get my issues 1 month eariler but i still haven't recieved December. My subscription didn't expire either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:11 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

to urumumsacow, its just like what happened to you on page 47 but where the discoloration is its all messed up and blurred. like i said, it looked like when the ink was wet right off the press someone let water drip onto it or something of the sort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:33 pm 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

*psssst* that wasent water

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:10 pm 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Thank you Josh!

Post subject: Re: A note to readers about the December disc
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:55 pm 

joshnorem wrote:
... but newstand copies have a DVD...the rules prevent us from offering it to subscribers.

:?: :?
Funny you should mention this as I just noticed this about 5 minutes ago when getting milk at the corner store. So, at the risk of getting banned with my first post here :lol: , these questions beg to be asked:
  1. What kind of rules could possibly prevent you from offering dvd's to subscribers?
  2. Exactly who's rules are these anyway?
  3. What hideous punishment would you incure?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:57 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Mindwarp wrote:
joshnorem wrote:
... but newstand copies have a DVD...the rules prevent us from offering it to subscribers.

:?: :?
Funny you should mention this as I just noticed this about 5 minutes ago when getting milk at the corner store. So, at the risk of getting banned with my first post here :lol: , these questions beg to be asked:
  1. What kind of rules could possibly prevent you from offering dvd's to subscribers?
  2. Exactly who's rules are these anyway?
  3. What hideous punishment would you incure?

Good questions.

The subscription promises a CD. SInce having both is cost prohibative (and mainly redundant), they cannot do both. Since a CD was promised, they cannot simply switch. Folks without DVD players will (rightfully) complain.

This has been an ongoing issue, and the DVD at the newstand is the first step toward getting it in the sub mag at some point.

Try not to complain - or they might abandon the whole idea.

Oh Yeah....Welcome to the MPC Forum

Manta

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:00 pm 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

MantaBase wrote:
Good questions.

The subscription promises a CD. SInce having both is cost prohibative (and mainly redundant), they cannot do both. Since a CD was promised, they cannot simply switch. Folks without DVD players will (rightfully) complain.

This has been an ongoing issue, and the DVD at the newstand is the first step toward getting it in the sub mag at some point.

Manta

Manta, thanks for explaining it, that makes sense.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:03 pm 

MantaBase wrote:

Good questions.

Oh Yeah....Welcome to the MPC Forum

Manta

Thank you Manta for the explanation and the welcome msg.

As for the complaining...we'll see :twisted: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:12 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

gramaton cleric wrote:
to urumumsacow, its just like what happened to you on page 47 but where the discoloration is its all messed up and blurred. like i said, it looked like when the ink was wet right off the press someone let water drip onto it or something of the sort.

It's okay, I believe you. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:29 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Josh, my disk came yesterday- thank you very much! I was surprised it came so fast.

My issue has that mark too- page 54 Tivo article- which I enjoyed very much! The article came at a time when I was wondering what Media Center was, since I've got a few copies. It was a few weeks too late though, I wanted to install it on hubby's puter but didn't know how different it was than XP Home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:02 pm 

Well I requested the Dec 04 DVD since I subscribed to the magazine w/CD order about 6 days ago, at dischelp@maximumpc.com. That's the correct e-mail address right?

I can wait for about a few weeks, and considering that josh probably gets over a thousand emails a day, but how long is it supposed to take to get the disc out in the mail to whoever requests it? Just curious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:25 pm 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Wester547 wrote:
Well I requested the Dec 04 DVD since I subscribed to the magazine w/CD order about 6 days ago, at dischelp@maximumpc.com. That's the correct e-mail address right?

I can wait for about a few weeks, and considering that josh probably gets over a thousand emails a day, but how long is it supposed to take to get the disc out in the mail to whoever requests it? Just curious.

I used the pm link under Josh's post up top since he doesn't have an email addy listed in his profile. He got right back to me, I was really impressed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:50 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I get drippy pages. FIrst one was in july issue.