Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Noticing inconsistancies in the articles lately
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:11 pm 

I noticed in the October issues Longhorn article a few errors. One example is the editor goes on to say that Longhorn has a new file system called WinFS, then goes on later in the article and contradicts himself saying it just runs on top of a modified NTFS file system. Try to be a little more careful in your articles in regards to accuracy in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:54 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

longhorn was going to use WinFS but it nolonger will

see here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/data/winfs/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:25 pm 

I am aware of this, however, that info has been public knowledge for some time now that it will not be a completely new file system. Yes I can understand the part about it not being included was probably announced after this article was written. However, my argument is based on the fact that the author stated that it was a completely new file system, then later in the article went on to say it was just something that ran on top of NTFS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:16 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

You're arguing semantics. I usually don't bother arguing back on this kind of little nit-picky stuff, but this time I will, since we're both kind of right and I didn't have the time to fully explain it in the story..

From what I've seen, WinFS is kind of a new thing, at least in the Windows world. In the alphas it seems to create a filesystem inside a bigass file that has to sit on an NTFS partition. At least, that's how the PDC (and I think the WinHEC) builds worked.

It's unclear to me whether that was just how it worked in the tech preview or if it will continue to work like that when (and if) it ever ships.

///Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:22 am 
Team Member
Team Member

interesting, so its still basicly just NTFS with a nifty feature? sorta like when fat went 32? or is it more than that? like fat to NTFS?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:53 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

An easy way to think of it (that is, a layman's explanation) is that WinFS adds a db that sits on top of NTFS. It is a great idea ... I'm quite disappointed that it was removed from Longhorn.

Having said that, an open-source version is bound to be released ... probably before MS does, now ... so I'm happy either way.

To address the original poster's concern ... WinFS is a new filesystem AND it is based on NTFS. The features that it adds are revolutionary and extensive, so it is correct to call it new ... but it is built on the core of NTFS, so it is also correct to say that it is based on NTFS. It is, as Will said, simply a question of semantics.

A analogy to cars is often useful, so I'll throw one in to clarify my point. The Toyota Matrix is a new car. The high-end Matrix uses the same engine as the Toyota Celica GT-S. So it is a new car that happens to have the same engine as a previously existing model.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:39 am 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

New Shimmer is a floor wax!

No, new Shimmer is a dessert topping!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:04 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

MMMMMMMM... New Shimmer :wink: