Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What gamers want to know...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:46 pm 

When it comes to video game benchmarks, could we see how those benchmarks vary (if at all) for an AMD and P4 HT while running some of the apps that gamers use. I know a lot of gamers use things such as XFire and TeamSpeak (even at the same time) while they are in multiplayer games. I know your benchmarks are generally run alone, but if one or two of these apps were running at the same time, it would give gamers a better idea of where their systems stand. Or maybe even just do a piece on the different apps that gamers use to talk to each other in game and how it affects the system or bandwidth, and what the best choices are to use. Of course, when using the team voice apps, you would have to get a few people talking on it to truly see how it might hinder the system or bandwidth during your test.

Post subject: Re: What gamers want to know...
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:45 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

SpellBinder wrote:
When it comes to video game benchmarks, could we see how those benchmarks vary (if at all) for an AMD and P4 HT while running some of the apps that gamers use. I know a lot of gamers use things such as XFire and TeamSpeak (even at the same time) while they are in multiplayer games. I know your benchmarks are generally run alone, but if one or two of these apps were running at the same time, it would give gamers a better idea of where their systems stand. Or maybe even just do a piece on the different apps that gamers use to talk to each other in game and how it affects the system or bandwidth, and what the best choices are to use. Of course, when using the team voice apps, you would have to get a few people talking on it to truly see how it might hinder the system or bandwidth during your test.

What?

I'll break down your post, let me know if this is what you mean:

Quote:
When it comes to video game benchmarks, could we see how those benchmarks vary (if at all) for an AMD and P4 HT while running some of the apps that gamers use.

Benchmark them on separate platforms? Good idea, but probably not going to happen as each editor's system represents the same baseline that they use for the entire year.

I doubt you'd see huge performance differences, plus it would make bringing objective reviews and analysis more confusing...having one baseline is sufficient, in my opinion. You either go with AMD or Intel, which happens to have the best architecture for the foreseeable future of the year you will be running benchies.

Quote:
know a lot of gamers use things such as XFire and TeamSpeak (even at the same time) while they are in multiplayer games.

The whole point of obective, even subective, reviewing is minimizing miscellaneous errata. You need to isolate the specific component from the rest of the components to benchmark it's performance. Running TeamSpeak and other stuff no one else maybe using could skew the results.

However, I would love to see online performance rated and weighed in reviews on online components and games.

Quote:
I know your benchmarks are generally run alone, but if one or two of these apps were running at the same time, it would give gamers a better idea of where their systems stand. Or maybe even just do a piece on the different apps that gamers use to talk to each other in game and how it affects the system or bandwidth, and what the best choices are to use.

This would be better as a feature article, than as part of the benchmarking procedures.

Quote:
Of course, when using the team voice apps, you would have to get a few people talking on it to truly see how it might hinder the system or bandwidth during your test.

What is the percentage of peopling using voice apps against online gamers, then compare this against hardware users and gamers that read the magazine. Take that and multiple it against the percentage of time the editor's have to do reviews such as this against the actual time it would take and if everything comes to 1...then it would make it viable.

Otherwise, there are things that the editors could be better spending their time on.

But that doesn't mean you couldn't do it for one month in a feature article. I'd like to see the voice comms compared...most team comms I've used are ass. Team Speak is one of them.

Post subject: Re: What gamers want to know...
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:40 pm 

Wolfmann wrote:
But that doesn't mean you couldn't do it for one month in a feature article. I'd like to see the voice comms compared...most team comms I've used are ass. Team Speak is one of them.

Ok... I agree, a feature article would be better. So how about it guys!?!