Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: November '04 issue
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:02 am 

Ok, well since this is my 1st posting in these forums I would like to say h3ll0 to everyone here.

Now on to my complaint. After getting my Nov. issue in the mail, I was dissappointed in the lack of reading material. within 30 minutes I had finished the mag. and it went right next to the toilet for the rest of the family to enjoy.

Out of pure curiosity I decided to calculate the % of ads in this issue.

There are 120 pages total. 78 of them are full page ads. which comes to 65% of the mag. full page ads. that leaves 35% left for articles and partial page advertisments. I am only going to guess that with the partial page ads there is around 25-30% of the mag to actual reading material.

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?!!!!!!!!

now I do understand that while I am only paying $1.00 per issue without the CD BUT! this is terrible.

Did most of the staff get laid off, go on vacation for a month or what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:34 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

I haven't verified your page count, but assuming you're correct, is your gripe that you're in essence paying just a hair over .02 cents per non-advertised page.

Take those ads out and see if we can still trade our two cents for MaximumPC's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:36 am 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

Welcome to the forums!

Actually, the 16 page 1&1 bind in, which I'm reasonably sure you're including, aren't counted in the normal pagecount of the magazine. In reality the November issue was 136 pages long (not just 120), which makes the percentages better. I just counted about 59 pages of editorial content which is about 43% of the total magazine.

Regardless, without ads we would have no magazine. Love the ads!

///Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:41 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

So because the pages weren't numbered they don't count?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:58 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

No, they aren't counted in our page numbering scheme. So, when you turn to the end of the magazine, and look at the last page number, it says 120, right? There are more than 120 pages in that issue, because we didn't count the bind in 1&1 ad. In fact, there are 136 pages in that issue.

If you don't believe me turn to page 72. That's the first page of In the Lab, and the page before the 1&1 ad. Then turn to page 73. That's the second page of In the Lab.

What I'm saying is don't just count the number of ads, then divide by 120, because there are more than 120 pages in the mag, since the 1&1 ad isn't counted.

Does that make sense?

///Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:45 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Yep, it does.

Was thinkin of something else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:24 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

WillSmith wrote:
Welcome to the forums!

Actually, the 16 page 1&1 bind in, which I'm reasonably sure you're including, aren't counted in the normal pagecount of the magazine. In reality the November issue was 136 pages long (not just 120), which makes the percentages better. I just counted about 59 pages of editorial content which is about 43% of the total magazine.

Regardless, without ads we would have no magazine. Love the ads!

///Will

Thats still higher than it used to be isn't Will? Could you at least mention to the folks concerned that you are getting a few complaints. I know ads are important, but maybe its time to raise the rates. If I want Computer Shopper, I will buy it. I would really like to see content at or above 50%. I know you have little control over it, but ads normally don't bother me at all and this month they did.

Ads are important - but I would call the 1&1 spam. Just my opinion as a reader - not trying to be a winer.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:36 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

I feel as though it’s getting flooded with ads too. On the head 2 head in the October issue I usually like to hop back and forth to compare, but this time there was a big ass ad in the middle. I wonder if I can really get 12 CD's for the price of 1?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:33 pm 

That was kind of off-putting for me as well... I don't have any problem with ads in the back. And I remember either here or in the Commport seeing some threads on this where people preferred Maximum PC's way of having all the ads at the back instead of scattered throughout the magazine (I swear, with some of my wife's magazines, you can go 50 pages without any actual content). Which is the way I prefer it as well.

But this thing right in the middle of the mag kind of threw me off... I don't think anyone would have cared if it were at the back with the rest of the ads. But right in the middle was kind of annoying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:00 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

KerrAvon wrote:
But this thing right in the middle of the mag kind of threw me off... I don't think anyone would have cared if it were at the back with the rest of the ads. But right in the middle was kind of annoying.

Sometimes that's just where they fall. There's not much we can do about that. It has to do with the way the printer prints and binds the sheets of paper (each sheet = between 8 and 16 pages). Then they take those sheets do some magical folding, and it ends up where it ends up. We'd rather have had the ad where it was than in the middle of the Build-it feature or the CPU story though.

I wrote up a big post last month about the ads. Maybe someone can dig it up and link it for me?

The basic gist is that Jon promised we'd always deliver more than half editorial content in a 96 page magazine. That rule can't apply when we have a 120-page magazine like October, or a 136-page magazine (essentially) like November. We can't generate the extra 20+ pages of content in the time we're alloted, and maintain the high quality level that you guys expect.

The other way to look at it is simple. In exchange for the time you guys spend turning those extra 20 or so ad pages, we deliver an extra 10 pages of content to you than you would have if those ads weren't there.

It's really funny. In 2001, when the ad sales were bad, you guys bitched that the mag was too thin. Now, when we have a bunch of ads and run a thick magazine, you complain because we "don't have enough content" even though the magazine has more editorial pages now than it did in 2001.

Regardless, I'll pass the word up the ladder.

///Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:41 am 
Team Member
Team Member

If the huge 1&1 ads don't count as part of the regular page count, which is kinda silly, why not stick the ad in there as a seperate minimag in the plastic bag, then we can all just throw it out like we'd like to anyway. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:49 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

WillSmith wrote:
I wrote up a big post last month about the ads. Maybe someone can dig it up and link it

///Will

Link

WillSmith wrote:
It's really funny. In 2001, when the ad sales were bad, you guys bitched that the mag was too thin. Now, when we have a bunch of ads and run a thick magazine, you complain because we "don't have enough content" even though the magazine has more editorial pages now than it did in 2001.

With little exception, the criticisms come from the same habitual complainers, hence the 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' witnessed above. Also, had the 1and1 ad been spread out rather than in a block of pages, I don't know that there'd be the same number of complaints this month. Like anyone else, I'd enjoy seeing less ads, but I'll take the added content any day and call it a buck well spent.

Post subject: Yellow Pages
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:58 pm 

Hey Guys,

I actually dont mind the ads at all. For awhile but when there is a HUGE 1and1 ad right in the middle of the book just to "thicken" it up. Give me a break. what should be done is artical after artical after page turning artical and put the ads in the back kind of like a "Yellow Pages". That would be a better Idea. So if people wnat to see ads they can go to the back and if they dont, then they dont have to subject to themselves to ads.

I dont know just a suggestion.

Symbonite

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:52 pm 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

only two kinds of ads bother me...full page subscription cards,and foldout ads on the front or back cover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 3:15 am 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

drainbread wrote:
only two kinds of ads bother me...full page subscription cards,and foldout ads on the front or back cover.

Those fold out things are so annoying. Everey time you wanna read the mag, you are fumbling with the cover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:07 am 
All Your Basestar Are Belong to Us
All Your Basestar Are Belong to Us

Using CD-rom-less subscription price vs. CD-rom-less subscription price, you pay less per page of editorial content than say, CPU magazine. What's the complaints about?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:31 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Ads? What ads?

If it isn't content, I ignore it. The only thing that would really annoy the heck out of me is having a tech article split around non-content, or seeing something REALLY disturbing like (continued page 87).

To writers/editors/contributors/whatever of MaximumPC: Hang in there lads!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:51 am 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

whitecree wrote:
Ads? What ads?

If it isn't content, I ignore it. The only thing that would really annoy the heck out of me is having a tech article split around non-content, or seeing something REALLY disturbing like (continued page 87).

To writers/editors/contributors/whatever of MaximumPC: Hang in there lads!

you commie... when i see an alienware ad it gives me a warm-fuzzy feeling kinda like...never mind

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 am 

Oh, I don't have a problem with the ads at all. I can usually tell when I've reached the end of the content when I hit the ads pages.

I just like how MaxPC has all their ads at the back of the book. I hate other mags (like my wife's Cosmo and Vanity Fair, and other magazines I thumb through), that have like 50 pages of ads even before the table of contents. And then another 50 before you get to the first content page. Maximum PC's way of having all the ads in the back is much nicer, because it flows better and I feel like I'm getting much more for my buck.

So it was kind of jarring to have the ad right in the middle of the book this month, is all I'm saying. I'm not complaining because the ad is there - I'm just saying it was weird to come across it right in the middle like that. No biggie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:26 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

You read Cosmo?

Bahahahaha!