Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: November 2004 Issue: 3 Computers for Any Budget
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:57 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Where can you get Windows XP Professional OEM for $90.

-misterLOBY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:08 am 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

www.pricewatch.com vendors usually have XP OEM disks for about $90.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:06 pm 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Go to New egg, you'll have to buy a piece of hardware, but it's usually a $3 cable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:30 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Blondie wrote:
Go to New egg, you'll have to buy a piece of hardware, but it's usually a $3 cable.

See, that's just it - I checked newegg, zipzoomfly & mwave. The OEM version sells for $142.00 - I'm looking into some of the vendors listed in pricewatch as per Will Smith.

Thanks for your input.

-misterLOBY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:44 pm 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Shit, sorry, :oops: didn't see the Pro. I did go to pricewatch & found it for $90. I'll have to remember to use that site, we usually use price grabber.

Thanks Will :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:16 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

IIRC the PSU was missing from the latter two rigs :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:26 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

MoboMoFo wrote:

Huh?????? :roll: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:22 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Brvhrt wrote:
MoboMoFo wrote:

The performance machine featured a PSU from PCPowerCooling... the others (mid-range and budget) didn't list a PSU.

I guess they IMPLIED that there was an included PSU... but using stock power is kinda stupid... especially with high-power items like the A64 and the GeForce 6800 Ultra. But, then again, they did go with a P4 as the "high-end" processor... explains a lot :roll:

...and I like how they claim the P4 has "great overclocking potential"... good luck overclocking it with stock cooling, guys. And, I suppose the A64 doesn't overclock for shit? Please...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:03 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

We've had pretty poor luck overclocking the A64s because the memory never seems to go as far as the processor. Even when we do manage to get them cranked up, the performance gain is pretty disappointing. Contrast that with 3.4 and 3.6GHz Prescotts that are really nice overclockers.

I guess I could have gone with an Athlon XP for the low-end system, but in my eyes that processor is end-of-life and not worth fooling with. We hadn't gotten any of the low end Athlon 64s that use Socket 939 in at the time I built those machines. Hence, the P4 recommendation for the low end.

We didn't list a specific PSU for the mid-range and low-end systems because they aren't top of the line, and the cases we used included decent power supplies. I tested them all myself and everything worked ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:49 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

MoboMoFo wrote:
Brvhrt wrote:
MoboMoFo wrote:

The performance machine featured a PSU from PCPowerCooling... the others (mid-range and budget) didn't list a PSU.

I guess they IMPLIED that there was an included PSU... but using stock power is kinda stupid... especially with high-power items like the A64 and the GeForce 6800 Ultra. But, then again, they did go with a P4 as the "high-end" processor... explains a lot :roll:

...and I like how they claim the P4 has "great overclocking potential"... good luck overclocking it with stock cooling, guys. And, I suppose the A64 doesn't overclock for shit? Please...

well yeah thats cool...but I thought the question was where you could get XP pro for $90..... :roll: ^^^^^^^^^^

Fold Until A Cure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:09 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

WillSmith wrote:
We've had pretty poor luck overclocking the A64s because the memory never seems to go as far as the processor. Even when we do manage to get them cranked up, the performance gain is pretty disappointing. Contrast that with 3.4 and 3.6GHz Prescotts that are really nice overclockers.

I guess I could have gone with an Athlon XP for the low-end system, but in my eyes that processor is end-of-life and not worth fooling with. We hadn't gotten any of the low end Athlon 64s that use Socket 939 in at the time I built those machines. Hence, the P4 recommendation for the low end.

We didn't list a specific PSU for the mid-range and low-end systems because they aren't top of the line, and the cases we used included decent power supplies. I tested them all myself and everything worked ok.

Hey Will, you guys actually overclock? I must have missed that article....I didnt know that you actually try to tweak your systems. I thought you guys just got $7,300 rigs that 99% of your readers will never be able to afford to play with and thats what made you MAXIMUMPC
My bad....

Fold Until A Cure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:27 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Brvhrt wrote:
MoboMoFo wrote:
Brvhrt wrote:
MoboMoFo wrote:

well yeah thats cool...but I thought the question was where you could get XP pro for $90..... :roll: ^^^^^^^^^^

Fold Until A Cure

Welcome to the thread entitled "November 2004 Issue: 3 Computers for Any Budget"

I'm on-topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:35 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

WillSmith wrote:

You guys should have noted this in the article.

Honestly, I'm not sure who your audience is, because anybody who is a novice would be left with a LOT of questions... and anybody who is well-versed in hardware wouldn't need to read that article in the first place.

It seems to me you guys need to sit down as a group, take a direction, pick an audience, and stick with the outcome. As it stands, this magazine is a bit of a mish-mash of information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:13 pm 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

There's a post about the article, it can be found here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:33 am 

WillSmith wrote:

What's your feeling on the Socket 754 Athlon 64s for the low-end system? That would seem to fit in that space OK.

Post subject: 3 BYO Systems (Nov 2004 issue)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:27 am 

WillSmith wrote:

Not to beat a dead horse, Will, but did you use a Dell or Compaq disk for your Win XP Pro 'cause I still can't find Win XP Pro OEM at $90 without the "For use only with (insert vendor here)..." label. :cry:

I want a clean, unencumbered disk I can install on my A8V. Help.

Ewin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:11 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

If you don't mind installing your current version of Windows first and are a student, http://www.pccdepot.com/305106.html

Post subject: Re: 3 BYO Systems (Nov 2004 issue)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:22 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

tarkus3101 wrote:
WillSmith wrote:

Not to beat a dead horse, Will, but did you use a Dell or Compaq disk for your Win XP Pro 'cause I still can't find Win XP Pro OEM at $90 without the "For use only with (insert vendor here)..." label. :cry:

I want a clean, unencumbered disk I can install on my A8V. Help.

Ewin

Will is a moron. You can't just say "Pricewatch." Anybody who's anybody checks Resellerratings.com.

The only place I'd grab WinXP for cheaper than $90 is here... http://store.viosoftware.biz/wixphoedoem.html

$82, shipped-- best reliable deal I've found, yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 10:55 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I sense a beating from MoboMoFo but he wanted pro.

That student link looks cool...

And will aint a moron!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:04 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

ATI4EVER! wrote:
I sense a beating from MoboMoFo but he wanted pro.

Pro???

Good fucking luck...

Quote:
And will aint a moron!

He certainly doesn't seem to know what he's doing and/or talking about.