Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: X800v6800ultra
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:02 am 

In the head2head for the July mag (I think), the article stated that due to the power requirements of the 6800 ultra, it would never be able to go in a small form factor case; yet, in the same issue, they review a small form factor pc with the 6800 ultra in it! I think they need to rethink there h2h, since that power req. was the gamebreaker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:34 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Their only flaw was in how they worded it in the H2H. Instead of saying "any," they should have said that it won't work in "most" SFF systems. The point still stands, however, as the win was given "solely because of the excessive power requirements[...]by the tiniest margin," not because of SFF compatability.

--Reference--
"Head2Head: The Gritty Details." MaximumPC July 2004: 22

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:39 am 

But the fact that the 6800 ultra could live with a 250 Watt PSU (I think that is what it was), in the SFF in the reviews demonstrates that the PSU req should not be that big of an issue, since it can work with units of less than 300 watts in SFF's! Plus, Nvidia has since retracted the req.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/05/10 ... 96837.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:03 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

True, but I wouldn't try putting one in an SFF box that hasn't proven itself to be able and run it. Also, taking up a PCI slot is another reason why it may not find itself in many SFF rigs with limited space.

Also, one must keep in mind that the publication in question was off to print before any adjustments nVidia PR made.

And finally, in MaxPC's testing, they tried a 510w and 410w P&C, 400w Sparkle, 250w SFF power supply, and a 400w generic. Both the 250w SFF and 400w generic wouldn't run the 6800 Ultra, so they had reason to award the win to the X800 "by the tiniest margin," as they put in bold letters, further noting that "you really can't go wrong with either of [those] boards." So in light of the full picture, I fail to see where they should be chastised in their H2H.

--Reference--
"Head2Head: The Gritty Details." MaximumPC July 2004: 22

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:15 pm 

I'm just saying that they should put a note or something based on recent developments. Nvidia's new drivers really help performance, and with the req lowering, I think that puts the nvidia cards. Especially in the new anandtech article, the GT even beats the x800XT in some cases with AA and AF on. I guess I'll have to see the new issue, but I would assume they would put the x800 XT PE down as the best card in there best of the best section based on the H2H, which I don't think is the case anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:36 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

gobeavs wrote:
I'm just saying that they should put a note or something based on recent developments.

You want an update in the next article, right? Well, the real h2h is in the Aug edition and I already hear the 800XT takes the trophy. We'll have to wait and see why.
Quote:
Nvidia's new drivers really help performance, and with the req lowering, I think that puts the nvidia cards. Especially in the new anandtech article, the GT even beats the x800XT in some cases with AA and AF on.

Making a magazine is hard because it's started a month or so prior to it's actual print date. They, nor any mass published mag, can not keep on the bleeding edge of all the news releases. It's an art in prediction, and MPC is pretty good at calling shots. It's kinda sad that when they do get one wrong, they're pounced on severely.
And the power requirement amount was from 480 to 400W. It's still a harsh requirement that the board makers and end users have to deal with instead of nVidia themselves. ATI isn't stating requirements like that, so it's a hit in the comparison between the two, no matter how you look at it.
Quote:
I guess I'll have to see the new issue, but I would assume they would put the x800 XT PE down as the best card in there best of the best section based on the H2H, which I don't think is the case anymore.

Again, I hear it is. And again, the drivers were probably not fixed and released while the actual benchmarking took place. The "best of" reflects the best of the articles that they have actually reviewed up to that exact point. The GT is just now being released to the public and I am suspecting that MPC is Juuuust getting their hands on one. Suffice to say, opinions will take a great part of a review this close...and we all know about opinions;)

Also, as far as saying that the card won't fit into a SFF case: It won't. Monarch makes PC's that just happen to be SFF and are an OEM. List me a SFF factor case that YOU can/could purchase that will accept a 2slot VidCard and we'll talk some more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:07 pm 

Chumly wrote:
You want an update in the next article, right? Well, the real h2h is in the Aug edition and I already hear the 800XT takes the trophy. We'll have to wait and see why.

Yes, we will...

Quote:

Making a magazine is hard because it's started a month or so prior to it's actual print date. They, nor any mass published mag, can not keep on the bleeding edge of all the news releases. It's an art in prediction, and MPC is pretty good at calling shots. It's kinda sad that when they do get one wrong, they're pounced on severely.
And the power requirement amount was from 480 to 400W. It's still a harsh requirement that the board makers and end users have to deal with instead of nVidia themselves. ATI isn't stating requirements like that, so it's a hit in the comparison between the two, no matter how you look at it.

I understand your magazine point, and that is why I think they should make a note or something, or unofficially recheck it periodically to make adjustments to the Best of the Best if needed. If Nvidia does release some new killer driver, or if SM3.0 makes a big splash I think they are so close now the tide could change.

Quote:

Again, I hear it is. And again, the drivers were probably not fixed and released while the actual benchmarking took place. The "best of" reflects the best of the articles that they have actually reviewed up to that exact point. The GT is just now being released to the public and I am suspecting that MPC is Juuuust getting their hands on one. Suffice to say, opinions will take a great part of a review this close...and we all know about opinions;)

Also, as far as saying that the card won't fit into a SFF case: It won't. Monarch makes PC's that just happen to be SFF and are an OEM. List me a SFF factor case that YOU can/could purchase that will accept a 2slot VidCard and we'll talk some more.

My main protest was that they said it would not fit in any SFF, and in the same issue they reviewed a SFF that had one in it; but yes, I do see your point and I intend to find one that will house the beast :)