Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Comment on Building Your Own PC article
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:19 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Hi,
I thought the pc building article in the latest issue was great. I have only one quibble: When I am building pc's, the ONLY thing that gives me fits is getting the damn CPU into the motherboard socket correctly. Could your writer please devote a few more sentences, in the future, to that problem ? The one I am building right now, I have given up on. I am having a local guy put the cpu in the mobo for me. Thanks for reading this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:18 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Uh, line the notch up with the notch on the CPU, let go. Lower the arm. done.

What exactly is the problem you have here? I've never had a problem with this at all, it couldn't be simpler, maybe it's something obvious you've been overlooking, that happens to me alot.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:49 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Newbiesteve, I'm just echoing the same question - what problem exactly are you struggling with?

When you have the local guy install it for you, have him let you watch. It's really a simple matter of dropping it in and locking it in place - not too many more lines that can be devoted to it really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:13 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

I'm not done with the article yet (or my 2nd cup of java) but I would have liked to see better newbie instructions. After mounting everything, I'd suggest only hooking up what is needed. If your MoBo has integrated sound, skip the sound card till your sure it boots & can load Windows, or hook up 1 optical drive, plus 1 hard drive, stuff like that. Once it boots after loading Windows, loading drivers, then shut down & connect everything else 1 by 1. I suggest this cause of the posts at the forum, people build; hook everything up, but can't get it to boot right. * I realize that due to space newbie directions may not fit, on second thought perhaps a sidebar for newbies saying to only hook up the minimum.

All in all, I thought it was a great article (what I've read so far).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:54 am 
Klamath
Klamath

The Insane Modder wrote:
Uh, line the notch up with the notch on the CPU, let go. Lower the arm. done.

What exactly is the problem you have here? I've never had a problem with this at all, it couldn't be simpler, maybe it's something obvious you've been overlooking, that happens to me alot.

Mike

all I know is that I have had more problems correctly installing the AMD Athlon 64 2800 chip into both a FIC and a Asus K8V board. I thought it was simple too, but nope, neither board worked correctly. But, the boards are in good shape. So, I have no clue what is wrong. I line up the chip right, I drop it in, but the damn lever doesn't want to go down easily.

Post subject: funny...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:19 am 

but... what if you already have all the kick-a$$ components to install (then install them, and get a mobo without all that jazz... or not :wink: )

Also, I don't know about most of you, but most "things" come with
a small amount of instructions to boot (sometimes, rarely, even
a sticker labeling how and where the components go... my old
Compaq had one on the mobo.... yes, I did fry that computer too)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:13 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hey, all. I've got a question about the pricing on the parts: Whhaaaat? A Radeon 9600XT for $100?

I assume this stuff is refurbished, but shouldn't that at least be noted somewhere? You wouldn't want someone reading the magazine thinking they could get a "new" part at that price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:23 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

lowest on newegg is 130 but on reseller ratings the lowest is 95. so putting 100 seems fair enough to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:41 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Ohh, that one? Yes, quite a deal on that one.

That "9600 XT" link goes to this model.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:19 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

Well, it doesnt really matter because if you go over budget with $30, i assume you're gonna pay the $30 or sacrifice it for a weaker 9600.

basically, stfu with the little things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:43 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

newbiesteve wrote:
I line up the chip right, I drop it in, but the damn lever doesn't want to go down easily.

I smell Fear!!!

Well, not really. You spent a lot of money and you don't wanna push on that lever very hard do you?

Well, for safties sake let the tech do it, but I bet you simply are not pushing hard enough. ZIF does not stand for the pressure you have to put on the lever.

Manta

Post subject: Re: Comment on Building Your Own PC article
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:16 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

newbiesteve wrote:
Hi,
I thought the pc building article in the latest issue was great. I have only one quibble: When I am building pc's, the ONLY thing that gives me fits is getting the damn CPU into the motherboard socket correctly. Could your writer please devote a few more sentences, in the future, to that problem ? The one I am building right now, I have given up on. I am having a local guy put the cpu in the mobo for me. Thanks for reading this.

you could always practice on an old system. if you drop the proc in the socket correctly, you should have absolutely no trouble pushing down the lever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:11 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

ocnoob wrote:

Well, holy shit, there. I guess little things stopped mattering entirely.

Except when you lose 30 bucks on a videocard, maybe 20 on a hard drive, another 20 on your CPU, 15 on a case & power supply, 60 on a monitor.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:18 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

Klarion wrote:
ocnoob wrote:

Well, holy shit, there. I guess little things stopped mattering entirely.

Except when you lose 30 bucks on a videocard, maybe 20 on a hard drive, another 20 on your CPU, 15 on a case & power supply, 60 on a monitor.....

I am confused as to why you didn't quote my entire post. I basically tried to prevent what you've just said. Either make sacrifices, or deal with the price. (and besides, they just round off. im sure the editors were busy with other, more important things)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:01 pm 

How did you get the 3400+ to work in the Asus A8V Deluxe. I went to the AMD web site for this info.
http://www2.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Te ... 1093996448
I ordered up what was suggested in "3 computers for any Budget" :x to only find out that the CPU is a socket 764 and the Mother Board is a socket 939. That cost me a RMA restocking fee and more shipping. Had to re-order the ASUS Model: K8V-X to work with the AMD Athlon™ 64 3400+ (Socket 754)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:44 am 

Quote:
How did you get the 3400+ to work in the Asus A8V Deluxe. I went to the AMD web site for this info.
http://www2.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Te ... 1093996448
I ordered up what was suggested in "3 computers for any Budget" to only find out that the CPU is a socket 764 and the Mother Board is a socket 939. That cost me a RMA restocking fee and more shipping. Had to re-order the ASUS Model: K8V-X to work with the AMD Athlon™ 64 3400+ (Socket 754)

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I did the same exact thing, only I didn't realize until I had already cut open the packaging and now I can't get my money back and need to shell out another $300 for the correct CPU. I have a lovely Athlon™ 64 3400 as a paperweight now.
Thanks for the help MaxPC. Next time I won't be so trusting in the "experts". Cancel my subscription please...[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:28 pm 

debowne

Keep the CPU and order the ASUS Model: K8V-X to work with the AMD Athlon™ 64 3400+ . It is only $125 on NewEgg. Cheaper than a new CPU and just as good of a mother board.