Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Picking Nits
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:43 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

I have a few free miutes this morning so I thought I would wake up with some pick nitting.

Nov. Issue

Page 62, "You think 90nm is small?"

Second paragraph - if you are going 40mph and it takes 1.3 hours to go 45 miles - you better see your dealer (you can translate "dealer" however you like - 'cuz if the car is working, yer high).

Same paragraph - conventionally, if you use the metric system in an article, you should stick with it. Nanometers is metric, mph is not. If you don't like metric, you can use angstoms instead of nanometers. I believe 1nm = 10ang. You can check - I might have it backwards.

Same paragraph - "heat" is a very simplistic view of why you want to lower the track width on a proc. technology. *shrug* maybe it would have been over our heads.

Page 30 et al. "Build your PC the right way"
I know that in reality folks often forget or simply don't use an ESD device, I expect better from MPC. That screwdriver you are using is magnetic. The same one you mention on page 51? Is it wise to use a magnetic screwdriver?

Page 34
Why does a A8V delux cost less when you are building a midrange system than it does when you are building a low-end system? The Mid system is missing a PSU - or, one came with the centurion case. If thats the case you could have used the same case for the budget system and saved $40.

page 14, second column, sub-heading. I believe the word "can't" is missing from the statement.

Also, I understand the "maximum" of the trauma kit, but could you come a bit more down to earth? $50 for a magnetic screwdriver is a bit over the top as is $700 for the ultra-x. I like the aricle - but I would really like an article that could be "applied". BTW, tell me thats not a timing gun in the top tray of the kit. Just tell me its a thermal gun or something.

Again, I understand the concept, its "maximum" testing gear.

Welp, I'm not done reading yet, but I have to get to work.

P.S. To the person who was offended by the two girls "kissing" in last months issue - PSSST....dude, they're not real girls - step away from your computer and go outside. You will see a real girl if you keep looking - try a coffee shop :)

Good issue guys - I am enjoying it. Not as much as urmumsacow - but still :)

Manta

Post subject: Re: Picking Nits
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:21 am 
I miss my [Ch]ams!
I miss my [Ch]ams!

MantaBase wrote:
To the person who was offended by the two girls "kissing" in last months issue - PSSST....dude, they're not real girls - step away from your computer and go outside.

<Galahad voice>I bet he's gay.</Galahad voice>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:41 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

(sigh) And I'm just halfway thru the October issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:57 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Since we're being nit picky, better check this as well. On page 47 in the Do's and Don'ts section, " A 350w power supply is the bare minimum today". Now turn to page 92 in the Cooler Master review. " The included 350w power supply should provide sufficient power for all but the hungriest system configurations". Which do I believe?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:48 am 
Willamette
Willamette

bare minimum = sufficient.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 1:58 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

MantaBase wrote:
Same paragraph - conventionally, if you use the metric system in an article, you should stick with it. Nanometers is metric, mph is not. If you don't like metric, you can use angstoms instead of nanometers. I believe 1nm = 10ang. You can check - I might have it backwards.

Actually, I disagree. For a mass market mag, like Maximum PC, you want to put everything in terms the readers are familiar with. While none of us can properly visualize how big 1nm is, at least they have a point of reference when we use nm. For the most part, I'd bet that most of our readers don't have a clue what an angstrom is. If we were writing something for publication in a scientific or engineering mag, I'd agree with you.

MantaBase wrote:
Page 30 et al. "Build your PC the right way"
I know that in reality folks often forget or simply don't use an ESD device, I expect better from MPC. That screwdriver you are using is magnetic. The same one you mention on page 51? Is it wise to use a magnetic screwdriver?

I've used a magnetic screwdriver for the last ten years building PCs, and have never had a problem with killing hard drives. Ditto the anti-static strap. If you ground yourself regularly (and before you handle anything sensitive) you don't need it.

MantaBase wrote:
Page 34
Why does a A8V delux cost less when you are building a midrange system than it does when you are building a low-end system? The Mid system is missing a PSU - or, one came with the centurion case. If thats the case you could have used the same case for the budget system and saved $40.

I don't have the issue here, but I can say that the parts lists were the last thing I cobbled together for the story. The mid-range system was using the power supply that came with the Centurion, but I don't remember about the rest. I'll look tomorrow when I'm in the office.

MantaBase wrote:
Also, I understand the "maximum" of the trauma kit, but could you come a bit more down to earth? $50 for a magnetic screwdriver is a bit over the top as is $700 for the ultra-x. I like the aricle - but I would really like an article that could be "applied". BTW, tell me thats not a timing gun in the top tray of the kit. Just tell me its a thermal gun or something.

As always, you can pick and choose which parts you buy. You don't have to go out and purchase everything, the stuff we showed is just what we've found handy. For most people, a good trauma box contains a screwdriver, a few spare components, disks with the major OSes, Service Packs, and Bart's PE, some zip ties, spare cables (ethernet, IDE, SATA, power), and spare screwdrivers. Like many things we do, you should take what we do and use it for ideas, then make it your own!

If this is the worst that you can find, we must be doing some thing right :)

///Will

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:01 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Quote:
I've used a magnetic screwdriver for the last ten years building PCs, and have never had a problem with killing hard drives. Ditto the anti-static strap. If you ground yourself regularly (and before you handle anything sensitive) you don't need it.

Same here. Its kind of like setting your speakers next to the case, or better yet, the little PC speaker that mounts under the drive cage (at least in my case.) Neither has a strong enough magnetic feild to affect it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:17 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

MantaBase wrote:
I have a few free miutes this morning so I thought I would wake up with some pick nitting.

Me too. LMAO!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:50 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Spider Monkey wrote:
MantaBase wrote:

Me too. LMAO!

Back in your cage Monkey.

BAD Monkey! No Biscut!

Manta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:15 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

WillSmith wrote:

Actually, I disagree. For a mass market mag, like Maximum PC, you want to put everything in terms the readers are familiar with. While none of us can properly visualize how big 1nm is, at least they have a point of reference when we use nm. For the most part, I'd bet that most of our readers don't have a clue what an angstrom is. If we were writing something for publication in a scientific or engineering mag, I'd agree with you.

Yet, would it not be OK to "geek out" from time to time?
Really, most of your readers can't actually visualize what a micron is - just that it is small. I am not in disagreement - as I said I was nit picking. Yet, why not get a bit geeky every once in a while and educate while you inform. Such an education would have saved NASA a few hundred million a bit back :)

Quote:

First, I am not worried about HD and I actually asked in earnest. Do me a favor- rub that sucker in a circle a few times over an AMD proc's back plate and tell me if it still works. I really wanna know. I don't have the cash to try it myself.

Also, as far as ESD goes - you may be breaking ...errr....feldstrom....feldmans - I don't know, its a rule about using your expierence as fact (which I violate all the time). Hah - Schaum - That's it! (I think)

Example - you ever build a system in a high altitude arid environment? Well I have. If there is carpet on the floor, you will shock parts. Thats from my experience - now that I live in an environment with higher humidity, I almost never get static. But in Albuquerque, I always did. Very dry and very high. Perfect for building up charge quickly.

Again, its a nit pick. - But you said do it right.

And while you are thinking its no big deal - think about this - have you ever built a system in Albuquerque in a carpeted apartment? Away from that coastal humiity? Shuam's point was that we base things on our local experience and that walks us down a quick path of "wrong".

Anyways, The A+ expects you to know it - thats why I mention it
(and you do realize I was killing time right?). And Oh Yeah - I don't wear one very often unless I'm working on something that belongs to someone else right in front of them.
Quote:
As always, you can pick and choose which parts you buy. You don't have to go out and purchase everything, the stuff we showed is just what we've found handy. For most people, a good trauma box contains a screwdriver, a few spare components, disks with the major OSes, Service Packs, and Bart's PE, some zip ties, spare cables (ethernet, IDE, SATA, power), and spare screwdrivers. Like many things we do, you should take what we do and use it for ideas, then make it your own!

I totally get that - this was more of a suggestion. You gave an xmas list article - it would be great to have some more applied stuff :)

Quote:
If this is the worst that you can find, we must be doing some thing right :)

I am not done reading yet :) (actually, I am now). But as I said I like the issue :)

Just pickin nits for fun. Sorry my post has so many misspellings (/pot calls kettle black).

Manta

Last edited by MantaBase on Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:16 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

On a whim, I just came back from a local CompUSA where I rubbed a magnetic screwdriver over every AMD proc in the store. I'll case the joint and see how many get returned. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:24 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

there was only one thing that made me a little irked, and that was listing the P4 over the FX-53 on the top of the line system then listing a 3800+ as a medium ranged system

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:01 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

toidiochysp wrote:
there was only one thing that made me a little irked, and that was listing the P4 over the FX-53 on the top of the line system then listing a 3800+ as a medium ranged system

Well, look at the lowend system and ask yourself if its actually a lowend system.

All three of those were pretty nice. I think MPC might be slightly Intelcentric - but they could be worse - much worse. Rare to see a mag or site that isn't a total Intel or AMD fan - MPC is more nuetral than that at least.

Manta