Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:27 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Nope, still disagree, strongly. I work with PostNuke and phpBB2 (this very forum you're using) both of them are open source under GPL, so what you're saying is that if someone takes the code for this forum, changes it in some way so that when you register an account on a phpBB2 forum you become infected by some form of malware that this is (even in the tiniest way) somehow also my fault? No sir, I disagree strongly with that sentiment. Were I or another programmer to release code that was dangerous from the get go, then sure, that's a whole different story. However if code is released that is intended to do "X" and someone takes that code and manipulates it to the point that it does "Y" then I have nothing to do with it at all. All open source software is released AS IS without any warranty or guarantee of any kind and if someone tweaks with it and makes a strain of a virus out of it, how in the heck is that in any way my doing? I share no blame in that no matter what you think. That's the kind of logic that would claim that guns kill people, by that same logic, so do cars, bathtubs, wet pavements and stuffed animals. We don't blame the objects, we blame the users and how they use or misuse those objects. Any code I release is safe so long as it's used in the way it was intended to be. Anything that's changed about it is not my work and hence not my responsibility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:49 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I agree with you.

I don't think you are listening to what I am saying. I'm saying is that if your intent is malicious, that you produce code that other's can exploit you should be liable. Obviously you, as a programmer, can't foresee ALL instances of your code. BUT you can still be type safe and not slip into messy habits. If someone does modify your code, you can show them an original and say, "Look, this was the original...there are another 1,000 licenses out there like this...it's not me."