Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: will there be a review of the Zalman Resorator?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 2:21 am 

has there been / will there be a review of the Zalman Resorator in the near future?

Post subject: Re: will there be a review of the Zalman Resorator?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:23 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

kungtribe wrote:
has there been / will there be a review of the Zalman Resorator in the near future?

I think Josh said there would be one.

If this thread dies, tell me on the 23rd and I will PM Josh about it. I think he is the one that said they would review it.

I would like to see one too.

(the 23rd is a significant date for me - that why I pointed it out)

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:06 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

CPU reviewed it and apparently it performed fairly well. About 77 degrees F, or about 25 degrees C - room temperature. It's biggest advantage however was it's compact integration (not size, but that everything was together), the clamps used for the tubing, and it's quietness. I think it's biggest advntage, however, is in it's ability to purge the system of water for replacement - no risk, necessarily, or dripping or splashing mineralized water on your rig.

I'd buy one if I was going to get into water cooling. Mind you I have no hands on experience only going by the thoughts and process of a magazine who's reviews are suspect at best, so hopefully Josh can find something wrong with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:06 pm 

since the reservator is rather tall, would the whole unit get hot / warm to the touch since you're dispersing heat over such a large surface area? Could it effect room temperature much like a CRT monitor does?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:30 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

kungtribe wrote:
since the reservator is rather tall, would the whole unit get hot / warm to the touch since you're dispersing heat over such a large surface area? Could it effect room temperature much like a CRT monitor does?

I doubt it would be any different than a normal radiated cooling solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:29 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

I have for a little while now thought of liquid cooling for my system. I'm not an overclocker or seeking top CPU performance, but the Resorator seems most impressive to me because it's touted as being virtually silent - no noisy cooling fans blowing over radiators.

Right now I have a CoolerMaster Aero 7+ HSF cooling my Barton 2600 and while it does a very good job of cooling (ambient room temperature 25 Celcuis, CPU under load 47 Celcuis) it does tend to get a bit noisy at the higher RPM's. So the thought if an almost noiseless cooling unit is a big selling point with me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:29 am 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

We don't have any plans to do a full review, although it might show up in a cooling roundup at some point in the future, so I'll give you my thoughts from a short round of testing.

The fundamental problem with any passive cooling rig like the reserator is that the warmer the room it is in is, the less efficient it is at cooling your PC. So as your room gets warmer, your PC will get hotter.

You also have to make absolutely certain that you keep it out of direct sunlight, otherwise it can even heat the water in your system. I don't understand why they made it a dark color instead of silver or white.

If your room doesn't get too hot, and you can keep it out of the sun, the reserator's not bad at all. It's not a bad product, but you need to know its limitations.

///Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:27 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

WillSmith wrote:
We don't have any plans to do a full review, although it might show up in a cooling roundup at some point in the future, so I'll give you my thoughts from a short round of testing.

The fundamental problem with any passive cooling rig like the reserator is that the warmer the room it is in is, the less efficient it is at cooling your PC. So as your room gets warmer, your PC will get hotter.

You also have to make absolutely certain that you keep it out of direct sunlight, otherwise it can even heat the water in your system. I don't understand why they made it a dark color instead of silver or white.

If your room doesn't get too hot, and you can keep it out of the sun, the reserator's not bad at all. It's not a bad product, but you need to know its limitations.

///Will

Why can't there be full reviews done on these products?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:37 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

If you can say everything you need to about a product in two paragraphs, it probably doesn't require a full review. I'd have a difficult time coming up with 700 words to describe the reserator and report testing results without being repetitive.

///Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:46 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

WillSmith wrote:
If you can say everything you need to about a product in two paragraphs, it probably doesn't require a full review. I'd have a difficult time coming up with 700 words to describe the reserator and report testing results without being repetitive.

///Will

Here's another paragraph for ya...... :wink:

http://www.maximumpc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2951

Ken_Campbell
Fold Until A Cure