Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: DM 2004 memory/storage questions
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:10 pm 

why wasn't the memory maxed out i read that the dm 2004 only used one gig of ram? why not get some sone one gig sticks of ram and max out on memory? i always thought more meant better is there some kind of bottleneck?

second question? is it possible to run a raid configuration on those 300gb maxotor diamondmax 10 drives?

Post subject: Re: DM 2004 memory/storage questions
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:10 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

dayvideg wrote:
why wasn't the memory maxed out i read that the dm 2004 only used one gig of ram? why not get some sone one gig sticks of ram and max out on memory? i always thought more meant better is there some kind of bottleneck?

Yes, you can have too much. First of all, WinXP only handles so much. Second, too much slows down your machine because its constantly being refreshed. Third, this is a PC, not a workstation. If we started seeing SCSI and pro-video cards, THEN I could see getting a lot of RAM.

dayvideg wrote:
second question? is it possible to run a raid configuration on those 300gb maxotor diamondmax 10 drives?

Why not?

Post subject: Re: DM 2004 memory/storage questions
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 4:49 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

dayvideg wrote:

We used 2GB of memory in the Dream Machine, which is overkill already. And second, yes we could have run the DiamondMax hard drives in RAID 0, but running the main drives in RAID is risky enough, so it'd be doubly dangerous to have our backup drives in RAID as well.