Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hi all... Jon here...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:52 pm 
Editorial Director, Technology Group

Does everyone like the new forums? I do! (Same forum software used by the car boards I frequent.) There are tons of cool features I believe we can implement; I'll discuss with our web guru here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:32 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Hi Jon!,

I like the new forums, some features I miss and wish could be added here that I posted here about http://www.maximumpc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=358 , but so far "I like it."

:-)
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:53 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Well, the only thing that could make it better is...you guys posting more! Since you've decided not to write in the Alt:Opinion:Rants anymore, then maybe you can join in the fun a little more. Will's the only one that I see running around.

And drag Gordon away from his Roddenberry fettish and get him in here. Lure him in with a Tribble avatar;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:12 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

Jon! Hey man! Been waiting for you to post!

The format seems to be working out... What type of car forums are you into? I'm a wheeler, you into off-roading or something else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:29 pm 

But, fellas, if I was to post in here more, that might indicate to the troops that it's OK to peruse forums during work hours -- and, well... that would be wrong.

(Borrowed from one of my favorite Deadwood lines:

Al Swerengen: "Sometimes I wish we could just hit 'em over the head, rob 'em, and throw their bodies in the creek."

Cy Tollier: "But that would be wrong.")

Deadwood: It's better than the Sopranos. Best writing and acting on TV.

As far as my automotive interests, it's almost exclusively sports cars and sports coupes, but I still hold much love in my heart for muscle cars. I used to visit bimmerforums.com regularly; now I go to Elisetalk.com as I might be getting a Lotus Elise sometime next year.

There are some navigational tools we can add to these forums, so stay tuned. For example, a click of a username could bring up a menu for various options (send a PM, read public profile, that sort of thing).

We can also add an option at the top of every thread that would immediately jump you the first unread post in that thread (a GREAT tool).

And I personally like the fact that you can change text attributes with simple highlighting and button clicks. Much easier than other forum interfaces.

Thanks for bearing with the forum change all. It was time for the move.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:46 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

TBH, the new forums have grown on me. I got used to Delphi's format and liked it, but each day I'm getting more accustomed to here and I've made the switch.

As far as the Deadwood comment, can't say that I would put it ahead of Sopranos (die-hard Sopranos fan here), but Deadwood is great. The season finale was top-notch, IMO. When you have a free minute, read up on the real Deadwood and the characters - very interesting!

Image http://tinyurl.com/634ns
and
Image http://www.hbo.com/deadwood/behind/ther ... wood.shtml[/img]

Post subject: Re: Hi all... Jon here...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:30 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

JonPhillips wrote:
Does everyone like the new forums? I do! (Same forum software used by the car boards I frequent.) There are tons of cool features I believe we can implement; I'll discuss with our web guru here.

these types of forums are "alright" they are definitely take some getting use to after delphi.

It is somewhat harder I think to follow the replies to your posts than on delphi... but oh well, that may keep the LL from being as "heated" perhaps.

anyway mainly just saying hi, and I still look forward to getting my mag each month and all.

peace.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:14 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

JonPhillips wrote:

Jon,

No, I don't like the layout. I believe it to be a step backward in tech(something MaxPC isn't supposed to be about). I will still come here, but I feel this forum is not "MAX". Beehive or Webvelosix should have been the platform they used PERIOD! Those 2 have direct replying that we have all grown to love and can be easily hacked with features as well, but does offer a good amount of default features.

This actually may be IMHO the biggest mistake this organization has been associated with. Its just a good thing for you that the people here make it worthwhile to put up with the inferior forum Tech. Whoever and everyone involved in making the decision to go this route needs a demotion,

-Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:34 am 
M-Powered
M-Powered

JonPhillips wrote:
As far as my automotive interests, it's almost exclusively sports cars and sports coupes, but I still hold much love in my heart for muscle cars. I used to visit bimmerforums.com regularly; now I go to Elisetalk.com as I might be getting a Lotus Elise sometime next year.

Looks like we have much in common, I've always been a big BMW fan (my first car was a 1997 328ic) and since recently, I'm very interested in the US spec Elise. With 105.79bhp per liter and 1975 or so pounds of total curb weight, that sounds like a formula for major excitement... I just hope I can fit in it, being pretty tall, heh...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:21 pm 
Super Mario Banhammer
Super Mario Banhammer

Jon the only complaint i got is that everytime i visit the lifestyles lounge....someone will respond to another thread...just to have some moderator in a bad mood come in and start warning the guy to do this or hes going to use his god like powers and ban him. Yea i imagine some people have it comming to them...but its getting outta control. That and at the index its got its Users tha tare banned forum...this is so foolish.
That does not help this forum at all. Otherwise im getting used to this new forum pretty well.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:36 pm 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

JonPhillips wrote:

Hi Jon

The only serious complaint I have is the "reply" function or "quote" function not sending a notification. It makes it hard to follow who is replying to me.

BTW - Looking through the Magazine Feedback folder a 1/2 hour a week should be mandatory at MPC me thinks. After all - it is a form of customer feedback.

Have Fun

Manta

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:26 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

JonPhillips wrote:
Does everyone like the new forums? I do!

I forgot to mention, that once one gets used to BB code it offers a lot of presentation features that will be good for the forum and members IMO

http://www.maximumpc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=308

We could never have done that at delphi and had it come out half as good. Sides, no-one would have contributed to a thread that had to be bumpped all the time.

I have been on other php boards - but this is the first time I bothered with the code. I like it

Manta

Post subject: Just do it...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:30 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Quote:
"But, fellas, if I was to post in here more, that might indicate to the troops that it's OK to peruse forums during work hours -- and, well... that would be wrong. "

Tell the bosses that you guys NEED to be in here... um, "..to promote a closer support to your readers and to encourage others to subscribe ASAP to THE Kick-Ass Magazine that will lead them to the FUTURE of everything Computing!"

If they still don't buy it... sneak in once in a while just to get your forum-fix. 8)

Post subject: Re: Just do it...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:14 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

[PC]Pandelirium wrote:
Quote:
"But, fellas, if I was to post in here more, that might indicate to the troops that it's OK to peruse forums during work hours -- and, well... that would be wrong. "

Tell the bosses that you guys NEED to be in here... um, "..to promote a closer support to your readers and to encourage others to subscribe ASAP to THE Kick-Ass Magazine that will lead them to the FUTURE of everything Computing!"

If they still don't buy it... sneak in once in a while just to get your forum-fix. 8)

He could just logon with a name like "IamNotJon" :twisted:

Manta

Post subject: Re: Just do it...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:58 pm 
Maximum SpaceBot
Maximum SpaceBot

MantaBase wrote:
He could just logon with a name like "IamNotJon" :twisted:

Manta[/quote]

heheh, they'll never know... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:16 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Jon, it's about time you guys got away from D-HELL-fee ;)

The forums are good, they need some tweaking but they are good. Also thank you for leaving HTML off :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:54 pm 
Bring it back!
Bring it back!

Delphi gave me nightmares.
You think I'm exaggerating, but no, I've woken up, covered in sweat, a scream halfway out of my mouth, visions of a slashdot-esque maze of replies and posts in a never-ending cascade chasing me through my dreams...

I can't promise to make regular visits, for the same reason I can't say that I'll even eat regularly, things suck around here. However, it's nice to know that when I do visit I won't get a migrane just from trying to read the topics.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:25 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

IamDeMan wrote:
No, I don't like the layout. I believe it to be a step backward in tech(something MaxPC isn't supposed to be about). I will still come here, but I feel this forum is not "MAX". Beehive or Webvelosix should have been the platform they used PERIOD!

-Rob

If it's any consolation to you. I never went to the older forums because it was so wheels off. Nearly all of the better tech sites were on better forums. This is a small step in the right direction if you ask me. Actually vbullitin would have been even nicer (3.0). Or Fuse talk. Just enjot it :)