Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Opera problems?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:55 am 

In the feedback response to a letter in the IN/OUT section, technical editor Will Smith says opera has problems consistantly rendering web pages.

My question is this, What web pages?

I dont spend the majority of my time online surfing, but the 4 hours or so i do, i use opera and i have yet to have problems with any webpage. Once in a great while i will encounter minor hiccups on personal web pages that are poorly coded, but the big websites (yahoo, google, cnn, hotmail etc) i have absolutly no problems with. What part of the net am i missing?

So what webpages are causing so much trouble as to justify total disreguard for a great power browser?

Please dont get me wrong, im not saying opera is better than firebird (the latter in which i havent used long enough to form a strong opinion about) nor will i deny that there havent been a few buggy versions. But i do feel its a power user's browser and doesnt deserve to be ignored. The amount of platforms that opera will run on alone is impressive. There is a free version of opera, and i dont have any problems with webpage rendering.

Thank you for your time, one more thing, How about a special issue that includes a maximumpc sticker for our cases :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:03 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Opera has trouble with some CSS style sheeting, as well as displaying some dynamic content pages. I've seen relatively beautiful, but uncompliant pages rendered in CSS absolutely butchered, but generally CSS support in Opera is pretty good.

It also has trouble sometimes with flash and 3rd party plug-in type pages. A case in point was when I was doing browser compatibility testing of my son's website: http://marclesemann.5u.com When I test it with Firefox and IE it works beautifully...but when I tested it with Opera it concatenated some of the text, and changed the font. I turn the CSS off...and it was fine.

Opera, in my opinion, suffers from a case of the "information overloads" there are so many things and stuff to click, pull down, and otherwise do something with that when you get a clean, but highly customizable browser like Firefox you kinda take a breath of fresh air...not smog, like I do when I use any other "new" browser.

Firefox is what Netscape should be right now, simple, clean, well supported. I still prefer IE 6, but that's more a matter of habit. The more I use Firefox, the more I fall in love with it...I can't say that about Opera.

Opera has come a whole hell of a long way since the late 90's when it was introduced, but it's lost it's path along the way somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:56 pm 

I couldnt see any difference on your web page between opera and IE, possibly you may have already fixed it. Flash also runs fine, im using the latest macromedia plugin and opera 7.11 (although i still prefer version 6)

The thing i loved, was the ability to manualy change everything about the browser. Im a tweaker at heart and opera granted me a smorgasbord of options to play with and customise. When you first run opera your able to select the minimal interface which hides alot of the clutter that might be overwhelming to some at first, leaving a very simple fast browser. Heck all you have to do is right click on something and select remove and its gone, from single buttons to entire toolbars. You can remove everything if you want and simply have the standard file, edit, view,etc as the only thing showing.

Opera may take a little bit of effort at first to learn how to use the mouse guestures but once your used to them, you will wounder why windows doesnt include this in their OS. I switched over in the 90's because i got tired of IE being so slow and opera at the time would fit on a single floppy and ran much faster than IE.

I wounder if they will eventualy start charging for firefox. I have seen more than one company get users hooked then start charging a fee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:20 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I've long since fixed any bugs. It's amazing what happens and what you can do with native HTML and a little imagination. My friend swears by style sheets for everything. I look at them as window dressing - the leather seat option.

I like Opera and the alt browsers. Netscape is absolute ass. I dunno what they've done with that browser but it seems to be getting worse not better. To this day I can't fix a table collision on my son's web page, but it renders fine on all the other browsers, including Mozilla.

IE 6 and Firex 0.8 right now are where it's at for me.

I've never explored mouse gestures, but I'll work in to it. How do you enable them in Opera?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:10 pm 

To enable the mouse gestures you can go to "tools/preferences/" and click on the "mouse and keyboard" selection on the left, then check the box called "enable mouse gestures".

To start using them hit the "help/topics/mouse" and scroll down to the "gestures" section.

I like it when im reading the news, i can right click on the links and with a little movement open each link in the background and let them load while im reading the headers.