Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: F@H article?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:24 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
Well, I don't know if any of the MaxPC folks actually read this, but here's hoping. I'd love to see an article or three about F@H, or maybe distributed computing generally. Like maybe a bang-for-your-buck Folding rig Build-It, or a how-to article, maybe get some more exposed to Folding. I'm sure there a lot of unused compute cycles out there with all these MaxPC style rigs people have. Maybe not as lucrative as crypto-currency mining, but fun, competitive, and rewarding in it's own way.

Post subject: Re: F@H article?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:45 pm 
Million Club - 10 Plus
Million Club - 10 Plus

crwlngkngsnk wrote:
Well, I don't know if any of the MaxPC folks actually read this, but here's hoping. I'd love to see an article or three about F@H, or maybe distributed computing generally. Like maybe a bang-for-your-buck Folding rig Build-It, or a how-to article, maybe get some more exposed to Folding. I'm sure there a lot of unused compute cycles out there with all these MaxPC style rigs people have. Maybe not as lucrative as crypto-currency mining, but fun, competitive, and rewarding in it's own way.

Great Idea!!

Show the power... full power of your build.

Let them hear us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:22 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

While at a well known book store this past weekend, I stumbled across Custom PC and bit tech, a UK publication. Thumbing through the pages, I stumbled towards the back and found a two-page spread on F@H. The magazine was highlighting its team with a Q&A with one of its more prolific team members, as well as highlighting on the following page folders who have reached major milestones. It also posted a couple Top 10 list of successful folders for that month.

Coming home to check my f@h stats, I realized that this publication has a team rank of #7, and that team 11108 is ranked #6. And, that it would be less than 4 months until they pass us, and our team rank would fall. While the common goal of f@h is to contribute to the greater scientific community in their understanding on the nature of protein folding and interactions, no one likes to get passed, especially given the historical significance that team 11108 has had in the f@h project!

What would be necessary for MPC in one of its monthly publications to highlight the development and current state of the f@h project, the role its current team members play, and the impact that new team members could have on the scientific community? If nothing else, the greater f@h community would benefit by bringing greater attention to the efforts of the Pande lab and give the readers a chance to join the fold and apply their unused computing cycles to understanding devastating diseases that touch far too many of us.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:01 am 
Team Member
Team Member

bit tech is an active forum. They have nice case mod worklogs there.