Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Windows 8.1 Review
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:34 pm 

Maximum PC lost credibility by giving Windows 8.1 a rating of 8/10 (January 2014, page 41). A fair rating would be 2/10. Windows 8.1 is half-baked crapware just like Windows 8. In this day and age, is it really asking too much of a desktop operating system to let users adjust the size of all fonts? The control panel should have a check box to disable and hide all the cloud integration features in Windows 8 and Office. Windows Store (Metro) apps have potential but I don't like that Windows 8.1 provides no way for a user to disable a particular app's access to the internet. This creates a needless security and privacy risk for users.

Post subject: Re: Windows 8.1 Review
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:06 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You are claiming someone lost credibility because they disagreed with you. Really? Really?

I once had a scuffle with someone because I tried Windows 8 and found it pleasant to use. Apparently I'm stupid for liking it. I guess my reputation as a person to go to for PC problems and advice just went down the crapper =3

Quote:
In this day and age, is it really asking too much of a desktop operating system to let users adjust the size of all fonts?

You haven't tried Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display have you?

Quote:
The control panel should have a check box to disable and hide all the cloud integration features in Windows 8 and Office.

There is, but it's buried in Charms -> Change PC settings -> Privacy (or whatever).

Quote:
I don't like that Windows 8.1 provides no way for a user to disable a particular app's access to the internet.

Read previous response.

Quote:
This creates a needless security and privacy risk for users.

... Then don't use it?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:36 pm 

Quote:
I wrote: Is it really asking too much of a desktop operating system to let users adjust the size of all fonts?

LatiosXT wrote: You haven't tried Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display have you?

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display contains 2 settings:
Change the size of all items
Change only the text size
Neither of these settings changes the text size on the Start page, the text size in Charms or the text size in Windows Store apps.

Quote:
I wrote: The control panel should have a check box to disable and hide all the cloud integration features in Windows 8 and Office. Windows Store (Metro) apps have potential but I don't like that Windows 8.1 provides no way for a user to disable a particular app's access to the internet.

LatiosXT wrote: There is, but it's buried in Charms -> Change PC settings -> Privacy

Charms -> Change PC settings -> Privacy contains 5 settings:
Let apps access my name, picture, and other account info
Let apps use my advertising ID for experiences across apps
Turn on SmartScreen Filter to check web content (URLs) that Windows Store apps use
Show text suggestions based on what I type and write on this PC
Let website provide locally relevant content by accessing my language list

None of these settings hides the cloud integration features in Windows 8 and Office. None of these settings provides a way for a user to disable a particular app's access to the internet.

When a magazine gives a product a positive review and a reader considers the product to be crapware, the reader will be less likely to believe the magazine the next time the magazine gives some other product a positive review. It wouldn't surprise me if the advertising department at Maximum PC asked for a positive review of Windows 8.1 so they could get Microsoft to buy some advertising space. Microsoft has a large staff of paid shills who post positive comments about their products in internet forums. I don't know if LatiosXT is on Microsoft's payroll but anyone who has tried Windows 8.1 can see that LatiosXT is 0 for 3 on the issues mentioned in my post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:57 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Quote:
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display contains 2 settings:
Change the size of all items
Change only the text size
Neither of these settings changes the text size on the Start page, the text size in Charms or the text size in Windows Store apps.

Charms -> Settings -> Change PC Settings -> PC and Devices -> Display -> More Options. That scales everything up on Metro apps that support high DPI displays. Alternatively just lower the screen resolution.

Quote:
None of these settings hides the cloud integration features in Windows 8 and Office.

If you don't log in using a Microsoft Account (which there are ways to do it, they're just kind of out of the way), it gets rid of SkyDrive integration from Explorer, at least it happened on my end. The only notion of SkyDrive even existing is the Metro app in my All Programs screen.

Quote:
None of these settings provides a way for a user to disable a particular app's access to the internet.

Neither does Android (though it specifically states an app will want network access), iOS, or any other OS aside from the usual firewall settings (Which... hey wait a minute, that's how you block applications anyway!)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 31418.aspx Also go read that.

Quote:
When a magazine gives a product a positive review and a reader considers the product to be crapware, the reader will be less likely to believe the magazine the next time the magazine gives some other product a positive review. It wouldn't surprise me if the advertising department at Maximum PC asked for a positive review of Windows 8.1 so they could get Microsoft to buy some advertising space. Microsoft has a large staff of paid shills who post positive comments about their products in internet forums. I don't know if LatiosXT is on Microsoft's payroll but anyone who has tried Windows 8.1 can see that LatiosXT is 0 for 3 on the issues mentioned in my post.

So you're just one of those "if they don't agree with me, they must've been bought out by someone" scrubs. Do us a favor and leave.

Because anything you like I probably don't, which means you're on their payroll. See how that logic works out? c: