Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Feb 2014: Supercharge Your PC With an SSD - Deactivate?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:25 am 

I have been wanting to add an SSD as my OS drive for some time but one thing keeps me from doing it. That is the fear that Microsoft will not recognize my re-install as as reinstall and not some piracy attempt.

The (good) article did not cover whether or not to deactivate Windows before doing a clean install on a new drive. I have Windows 7 Ultimate in an educational upgrade version and do not know how to guarantee that it will be reactivated upon reinstall.

When installing it initially, I had some difficulty that prompted me to call Microsoft after a reinstall. They treated me like a criminal and I had the hardest time convinving them that I had a legitimate disc and license. I ended up having to fix the issue on my own because they refused to help.

Should I deactivate Windows 7 before reinstalling on a new drive? I realize cloning my existing drive would not present the same problem but I'd like to do a clean install for the reasons mentioned in the article. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Feb 2014: Supercharge Your PC With an SSD - Deactivate?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:52 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

You can't "deactivate" Windows. Just go ahead with the reinstall and if internet activation fails, call their support. It's an automated, if tedious, process, at least for the US. But as long as you say you're using your copy on one machine, they don't care after that.

Allegedly Windows will phone home if it gets the chance to make sure you're still using a legitimate copy but I think this is once every 120 days.

Post subject: Re: Feb 2014: Supercharge Your PC With an SSD - Deactivate?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:21 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I did an Acronis image before installing a second drive in a RAID 0 config and the image wouldn't restore. I wound up re-installing Windows and manually re-installing all my apps. I'm guessing it's because I didn't have the Intel RST installed on the previous image, maybe?
Either way, I'm getting mad throughput.
This was a casual test.