Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Maximum PC is Minimum PC
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:29 am 

I had loved Maximum PC since 1996 and I still have a subscription after more than a decade. I loved how funny and witty the writing was, I loved the 9 Kick *ss badge awarded to top gear. And I had thought Maximum PC had expertise which I relied on for many of my purchasing decisions. It takes me a long time to save for my periodic PC upgrades. I upgrade for things that are powerful and will be good performers for several years. Last October I bought a Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD because of Josh Norem's 9 Kick *ss review of it. But Josh Norem didn't reveal that the EVO is TLC. After my purchase I began seeing rumors on the internet that my EVO is TLC and this was confirmed by Anand Lal Shimpi.

I have 62 games on Steam and I often record my gaming sessions with either FRAPS, PlayClaw, or Roxio's PC Game Capture. Since I'm also hunting for ammo, health and Easter eggs, my unedited gaming clips are often 30+ minutes long. I also like downloading video clips and music videos as well. I'm worried that my PC use involves much more writes to my EVO than general use does. Had I known that the Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD is TLC I would have instead bought Crucial's M500 960GB SSD which is MLC. It seems that Josh Norem bought into Samsung's hype of their EVO's "new 3 bit MLC" and became a cheerleader for it like former Soviet Union children waving red and gold hammer and sickle flags at Red Square.

Maximum PC has entertained me and made me laugh over the many years, but that's where I went wrong. Anand Lal Shimpi's reviews are long, exhaustive, and dry, but if you're a PC power user, that's where you should go for the nitty-gritty.

Post subject: Re: Maximum PC is Minimum PC
PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:58 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Except you have to consider a few things here. If was assume that Samsung's controller is capable of even wear leveling and the expected life span of TLC flash (1000 writes), then you can be expected to write 1PB of data before the SSD starts to croak completely.

Not only that, did you even read the end? Anand recommends it completely and wouldn't even mind using it as his primary storage. To quote:
Quote:
I'd have no issues with one of these drives in my system even as primary storage. The performance story is really good (particularly with the larger capacities), performance consistency out of the box is ok (and gets better if you can leave more free space on the drive) and you've got Samsung's firmware expertise supporting you along the way as well.

The question of an SSD's lifespan is how much data per day are you writing? If you are routinely making 1TB writes a day, then sure, TLC flash is probably not the best choice of flash type since the life span is less than 3 years. If at most you're just doing hundreds of gigabytes a day (we'll just say 300GB), then you're looking at an expected lifespan of 9 years. But I'm also finding this setup strange. Why use an SSD to record your footage? If you're recording at something at like 36Mbps (Blu-Ray quality), then a hard drive is more than capable of recording this with room to spare doing other things. With the amount you paid for the 1TB 840 Evo, you could've easily purchased 4 4TB HDDs, and probably could get a bit of a boost with a RAID 1+0 or two RAID 1 arrays.

Also notice that MPC doesn't do any power supply reviews. Among other things. But that's fine. I enjoy their content and if I find them lacking, I go somewhere else. But I go somewhere else anyway to get third and fourth opinions.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:21 pm 

Friend, I bought a modular PSU years ago because of Maximum PC. Because I had to frequently open my PC's side panel to re-seat my C drive's power, I went back to an integrated PSU.

I'm feeling a little reassured by your response, and by other similar responses in Steam's forums, to my TLC EVO concerns, but I still believe in calling a duck a duck. There had been Truth in Menus laws in states that required restaurants to serve - let's say, duck - if it was listed as such on their menus. Unfortunately, the "multi" in MLC only means more than one and this gives Samsung the right to sell their EVO as "the new 3 bit MLC NAND," which reminds me of store signs proclaiming "new low price." I wonder whether a car can be sold as having a "new DOHC" engine with the abbreviation meaning Diameter Over Head Camshaft. I hope not, and I was hoping that Maximum PC's storage guru Josh Norem would've been a guard dog barking out the real skinny (Maximum PC used to have their "The Dog" section). I hope one day there will be a consistent labeling convention for SSD's, such as SLC, BLC (Bi Level Cell) and TLC for clarity.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:38 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Also, I think it's been stated on pretty much every PC hardware enthusiast website at some point is that you don't buy SSDs for their longevity. You buy them for their performance.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:51 pm 

At least our discussion alerts others that Maximum PC isn't the only, or best, source of PC technology information. Anand Lal Shimpi isn't an entertainer like Maximum PC's editors are. If you want laughs go to an entertainer, but if your chest hurts go to a doctor. Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:19 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Freebar wrote:
At least our discussion alerts others that Maximum PC isn't the only, or best, source of PC technology information. Anand Lal Shimpi isn't an entertainer like Maximum PC's editors are. If you want laughs go to an entertainer, but if your chest hurts go to a doctor. Thank you.

There's a whole bunch of really technical PC hardware sites out there like anandtech (been slow recently though), jonnyguru, hardwaresecrets, etc. I think MaxPC, especially their magazine, is more of a middle ground with technical articles and latest news in tech. It's probably like a combination of anandtech (in-depth review) and techpowerup (industry news).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:05 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Plus Anandtech is more hardware oriented. MaximumPC branches out into tips and tricks for computers more than any serious hardware reviews.