Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: complaints about windows 8
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:10 am 

With Windows 8 Max PC has turned into Cranky Old Guys PC I wonder how many of the guys whining about Windows 8 remember when Windows 95 came out:
I can’t find program manager or file manager.
You can’t run PATH in AUTOEXEC.BAT.
The taskbar and start button take up the whole bottom of the screen.
It uses up all the memory.
I will never use Windows 95.

Post subject: Re: complaints about windows 8
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:06 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

And this is what I'm talking about.

There was a development blog on Windows 95 where Microsoft pretty much ran into the same UI "usability" problems with Windows 95 because people were used to Windows 3.1. Yeah, sounds crazy, right?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:09 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I'm not certain you've even read or paid attention to the guys at MaxPC.

Directly below your thread is another one praising Gordon Mah Ung for his stance on Win8; Josh Norem (and Gordon) have both said they use it; Alex Castle is a huge proponent of the new OS. I think MaxPC has been generous to Win 8 in their coverage.

Let's be honest, it's a controversial OS. It was designed for tablets and smartphones and was thrust upon desktops. Yes, I get it - a universal interface that was supposed to be easy and intuitive. On tablets & smartphones, it's fine - on desktops, it's awkward and not always intuitive.

Personally, I think Microsoft wagered on 2 things happening:

1. The increase sales in phones and tablets would drive down the cost of touch interfaces (including monitors) making buying a touchscreen monitor a feasible option for most people
2. Younger crowds would latch on to the new OS.

With a army of youngsters, and cheap touchscreens, everyone else would follow and Win 8 would be a huge success on desktops. Problem is: neither really happened.

I tried Win 8 when it was in beta. Then, I bought a touchscreen AIO with Win 8 installed. Still not a big fan. In fact, the AIO has been off for 3 weeks and I haven't missed it. Then I hear Win 8 proponents complain about people reluctant to use Win 8:
"it's not that bad"
"it just takes some getting used to"
"eventually you won't mind"
"it's just a big start menu, that's all"

I don't want to spend another $100 for an OEM OS that I eventually won't mind; I would want to spend $500+ for a whole system even less. Obviously, I'm not alone.

The reason Win 7 was so successful was because it was relatively stable out of the gate and (more importantly) it was familiar. Anyone that had used a computer in the last 15 years could move around with relative ease, young and old.

I look forward to Win 8.1. When it comes out, I will install it on the AIO and see if it's enough to change my mind. I really hope it does. If not, my next build will be Win 7 based and I'll wait to see if Win 9 will be any different.

Who knows? 10 years from now, Win 8 will either be considered a forward-thinking OS that was needed...OR...it will be considered a failure. Only time will tell.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:51 am 

Windows 8 is terible...The worst of the series....took my 3 days to revert back to windiws 7. :x

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:43 am 

Haranded wrote:
Windows 8 is terible...The worst of the series....took my 3 days to revert back to windiws 7. :x

I am SO glad that I installed Windows 7 Ultimate on my new "Crysis on a budget" (May 2013) rig. I was really going to install Windows 8 because the USB 3.0 is supposed to be better and the filesystem better, somehow, but the Gigabyte motherboard mentioned in the article was darned expensive as hell and it did not even support Windows 8. Bah, humbug. Sticking with Windows 7, the last great OS from Microsoft.

~Ohmster