Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Is the magazine synced to the website?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:40 pm 

I'm interested in finding some of the articles in the latest issue of the magazine on the website so I can bookmark them for future reference. But I can't find them until the next issue comes out. By then I'm looking for the articles in the newest edition. I thought the website was synced with the magazine for subscribers. Sort of like a digital version.

Also I would really like to see the website get a new search engine. The only way I can find certain articles & features is to use Google along with the www.maximumpc.com. I know I am a member of a small group of complainers, but it would make the site so much user friendly & useful. But maybe MaxPC isn't looking to be user friendly & useful on its website as it would take away from the magazine subscribers. But I think it would make the subscription more valuable.

Thanks!!

Post subject: Re: Is the magazine synced to the website?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:43 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

If the latest articles were published on the website, then there would be no reason to subscribe to the magazine. Hence many of the articles are usually at least an issue back. Not to mention, most of their magazines are in their PDF archive section.

Also considering the many ways of subscribing to the magazine, and other logistical issues, I don't see a subscriber's only section on the website feasible.

I'm not with Maximum PC or its publisher Future. But hey~

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:46 pm 

But I would think it would make the subscription more valuable. Not to mention that it would only be available if you had a mag subscription. This would be obvious as you said it would be no need to subscribe to the mag.

I'm just hitting on the issue that it would be a perk for subscribers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:58 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I think you misunderstood me.

If they posted every article on the website like they do now, then it would make magazine useless. So they would have to create a subscriber's only section. The problem is that you force the magazine to go completely online, as you can still get a physical copy and apply via snail mail. I mean, I guess Future (their publisher) can send an ID voucher if the subscriber wants to go online. But then you'd also have to link up every other way you can subscribe to MPC, such as Amazon Kindle.

Either way, doing what you asked creates logistics problems that I don't think anyone really wants to deal with.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:14 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

Hey Phuztone,

Maximum PC Online Managing Editor Jimmy Thang here. Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully I can address your questions. In regards to posting content from the magazine to the website, yes, there is a time delay for posting PDF versions of the magazine on to the site; however, we do try to port over individual articles from the magazine to the website whenever we get the chance. Believe it or not, porting over articles takes a good deal of work and isn't as simple as copy and paste. Hopefully we can get more caught up to meet your satisfaction.

In regards to improving our search, can I ask what issue you're having in particular? While I don't think our in-site search is perfect, it is more than often able to find what I'm looking for. And yes, googling the search term + "maximum pc" isn't a bad idea either.

Let me know how I can make your stay here more pleasant.

Thanks,
Maximum PC Online Managing Editor Jimmy Thang

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:57 am 

Thanks Jimmy for taking the time to post a response. I haven't seen any past issues put on the site since Sept. 2012. So I guess you guys have discontinued doing this. I did find them on the Future US site. They seem to have every issue u to the most recent issue. But we have to purchase them. I have already paid for a subscription to paper edition, so needless to say I'm a little disappointed that I have to purchase the digital issue. I have subscriptions to other tech mags & am able to download their pdf's within a couple of months. So far it appears that MPC is the only one that doesn't offer this.

As far as the search goes, there isn't any specific issue that's the issue, but searching the entire site to find articles about certain items, such as networking, Android, cabling, Windows, etc. Also searching for a specific article from older issues by the actual title, it brings up many other articles & ads but never finds the actual article. That is very frustrating. Searching with Google, I can find the article as the first on the list, but I could never get the search on MPC to do this.

Hope this helps! MPC is one of the tech mags that almost always read entirely & use to find the best parts & software. Its a shame the website is so unhelpful.

Thanks again!!