Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Please - No more Windows XP tips
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:14 am 

Could I make a small request that there be no more Windows XP tips or how-tos for a while? Especially since the content of the latest one seemed (to me anyway) to be lifted word-for-word from both the last one they did and also from the "30 steps to a clean PC" article... I can't recall any such articles from back in the 98 or 2000 days, and now it seems like we have one every few months...

Please? There are mags out there that have this kind of info in them. Let them have their tips and tricks and we can have our Maximum PC. :)

Post subject: Re: Please - No more Windows XP tips
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:20 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

KerrAvon wrote:
Could I make a small request that there be no more Windows XP tips or how-tos for a while? Especially since the content of the latest one seemed (to me anyway) to be lifted word-for-word from both the last one they did and also from the "30 steps to a clean PC" article... I can't recall any such articles from back in the 98 or 2000 days, and now it seems like we have one every few months...

Please? There are mags out there that have this kind of info in them. Let them have their tips and tricks and we can have our Maximum PC. :)

My beef with these "tips" is that everybody and their kid brother already knows this shit because they were exposed to it when WinXP came out 3 years ago. I say "tips" because they're not really all that helpful to the intermediate and advanced users.

I appreciate MaxPC's few attempts to be "Maximum PC," but they need to fully realize their audience is more than just a bunch of newbies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 11:05 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

My lord I've wanted to say that for a while! There were 2 or 3 issues in a short period that were just about the same (I believe one was the PC-how to, so I'll cut a little slack).

On the other hand, I've very glad that they bundled all this all into the August issue so you could run to that ONE issue for a year or so when you have a problem. With that said, I hope it's the last...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:17 am 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

they never did take my tip on changing the start button text from saying "start" to anything you want. i went for several months with my start button saying toidiochysp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:32 am 

do u guys also think that MaxPC is not as funny as b4? i kinda feel that after Jon went away(no offense to george) the magazine's style started to change. i sometimes get bored reading the starting few pages and feel like reading Pc world..............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:03 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

homelessboy wrote:
do u guys also think that MaxPC is not as funny as b4? i kinda feel that after Jon went away(no offense to george) the magazine's style started to change. i sometimes get bored reading the starting few pages and feel like reading Pc world..............

Man, I saw this waaaay before Jon left. I don't think the MPC crowd at the time liked the humor.

Pick up an old mag prior to the "ROTM" ones. In it's place you will find the "Daily Glitch". Any ONE of those are better than a rig you could find with Google. It's nice to have the reader's rigs in there, but maybe a sidebar if it meant replacing the Glitch. Sept 00 has a story about how Bill Gates won Survivor through "Stealth, Cunning, and Treachery". Another one has a story about using Roller Coaster Tycoon to build Coasters that just ended to watch the cars fly off.

I also miss Josh's own little area, and the Lemon of the Month should come back...at least as a sidebar in the Dog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:30 am 
Northwood
Northwood

if the tips were added at the cost of other materials in the mag, then by all means take them away, but if not, then a little extra wouldn't hurt.

i started reading MaxPC (actually boot) before i got to where i am today. everyone has to start somewhere, and you can't expect only know-it-alls read MaxPC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:35 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

Chumly wrote:
I don't think the MPC crowd at the time liked the humor.

I'm trying as hard as I can to fix that! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:20 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

If I may throw in my $.02, as a communications major (yes, I'm taking it as a serious major and not as some kind of jock or slacker), I've noticed how Mr. Jones has lightly mainstreamed the mag which is a good thing. More circulation=more money demanded for advertising which leads to a long life and improved content. The hardcore content seems intact for those who read cover-to-cover.
Let's just hope that current and future editors continue to toe the line rather than dive into the crowd of empty mainstream PC mags.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:19 pm 

I totally agree.... I'm really wanting to see the MAXIMUM part stay in place. It's why I read it every month, cover to cover. Not interested in straying too deep into the PC Magazine waters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:26 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

We feel it's been done to death too, although our February issue with the cover feature named "Power Up WinXP" was our best-selling issue of the year (so far), so go figure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:27 am 
All Your Basestar Are Belong to Us
All Your Basestar Are Belong to Us

I was in the bookstore this weekend. It almost made me cry when I saw a gentleman go to the register with both a copy of the Sept. issue and the Windows XP special issue in hand.

Go MPC!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:50 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

homelessboy wrote:

I agree. As far as Windows XP tips, I find them extremely annoying and useless. And I'm not sure why, but I unconcionsly starting to hate author when I read them, for no apperant reason. I guess there are submliminal messages in those articles :)