Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: cpuid software
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:07 am 

In the latest issue in the Doctor portion you recommended a temperature monitoring software by the name of cpuid. I am sure it is okay for others but when I downloaded the 'basic' I found it came with way too much baggage. I immediately uninstalled it. Bloatware is my personal enemy and I just found all the extra junk that came with it to be way too much.
I am not condemning this for others just for me.

Post subject: Re: cpuid software
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:13 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If it's http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html they were talking about, it doesn't come with bloatware. And most software that gets straddled on freeware is opt out. There's no requirement to have it installed with the software.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:51 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

LatiosXT wrote:
If it's http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html they were talking about, it doesn't come with bloatware. And most software that gets straddled on freeware is opt out. There's no requirement to have it installed with the software.

Thanks Latios. +1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:20 pm 

LatiosXT wrote:

Sorry to say, that IS the page I downloaded from and got two other apps downloaded and installed with it. Needless apps too. I uninstalled all.
Just wasn't worth the chance of malware code.

Just to double check I went back to that page. The top of the page appears to indicate you can download it from there, but be warned, that got a red flag alert from my Virus protection. The download options to the right of the product description is for 'PRO' not the one listed to the left. So that is not the download button. But, just to be sure it was the correct button, I tried the download button in red and got another red flag warning about malware.
At the bottom of the page and to the right is another download button but that has nothing to do with CPUID at all! It is advertisement.
So, in essence, you cannot download the basic version from that page.
If I have missed something, do tell me!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:12 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Numbnumb wrote:
Sorry to say, that IS the page I downloaded from and got two other apps downloaded and installed with it. Needless apps too. I uninstalled all.

You're supposed to uncheck that you want to install those apps (which was an Ask.com toolbar for your browser). If you willy nilly clicked on "next" without reading anything, you sort of deserved it.

Quote:
Just to double check I went back to that page. The top of the page appears to indicate you can download it from there, but be warned, that got a red flag alert from my Virus protection. The download options to the right of the product description is for 'PRO' not the one listed to the left. So that is not the download button. But, just to be sure it was the correct button, I tried the download button in red and got another red flag warning about malware.

At the bottom of the page and to the right is another download button but that has nothing to do with CPUID at all! It is advertisement.

Go back http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html, look on the right side where it says "Download latest release", it's under the big button for HWMonitor Pro, and choose one of the .zip files (that say "(.zip, no installation)"). That's the basic version.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:00 pm 

LatiosXT wrote:
Numbnumb wrote:

You're supposed to uncheck that you want to install those apps (which was an Ask.com toolbar for your browser). If you willy nilly clicked on "next" without reading anything, you sort of deserved it.

Quote:

Go back http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html, look on the right side where it says "Download latest release", it's under the big button for HWMonitor Pro, and choose one of the .zip files (that say "(.zip, no installation)"). That's the basic version.

First of all, lest I forget my manners again, Thank you for your assistance.
Secondly I do not download "willy nilly". That is an expression I have not heard in years. I don't know how old you are but I just turned 70. I am approaching the age where the only reason to have a drivers license is in case someone asks for your name you have something on which to find it.
I have had a love affair with computers since Moses was in the basket (well it seems like that long ago).
I found when downloading from a 'trusted site' is don't assume it IS a trusted site. Always assume the worst. I do. I am careful about what I do and if I find I have gotten more than I bargained for then I immediately delete (the proper way).
Anyway, be that as it may, again let me thank you. I was able to get just the right one and it works great. Having just replaced a motherboard and cpu because it was partially fried due component failure I was happy to get this little program.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:14 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The "willy nilly" part was for installation. Freeware software tends to bundle with other software as a means to get some revenue. If you don't actually stop to make sure you opt out of that software, then you're going to get it installed. It's like the fine print. You didn't actually read it? Well, it's no one's fault but yours when it allows the other party to do things you don't like.

Also if you're paranoid, you can always run your browser in Sandboxie or a virtual machine.