Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Is MPC married to the CM Hyper 212+ cooler
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:57 pm 

Seems as though you have always recommended the Cooler Master Hyper 212 + as the air cooler choice in your magazine - ok I know not always but for a while now and I just wondered what you thought about the:

XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283 120mm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835233082

I used the previous version of this cooler on my last build with a Q9450 and had similar results in cooling as the CM 212 version and I don't really remember why I chose the Xigmatek for that one, but I had a reason.

For my latest build, I am using the Gaia SD1283 to cool my new i5-2500k and it really was an easy install (used Arctic Silver 5). The backplate was excellent and it installed easily and securely with the screws. The fan runs a bit slower (quieter - I imagine) than the 212+ but my temps are excellent. Usually mid to high 20s at idle and the highest I have seen under a full load is 50-53 across all cores (according to core temp if it's accurate) after a couple hours. My house is not always the coolest temperature either.

Anyways, I chose the 1283 over the 212+ for one main reason and that was the weight. Even with a backplate, the weight of these and similar coolers always worry me a bit (just being paranoid - I know). The 212+ weighs in at 626g while the 1283 is just 460g. Maybe not a significant difference, but difference enough to me with the way these things have to be mounted and the possible strain they can put on the Motherboards.

If it aint broke... I guess is the reason for the excellent 212+ to keep getting your pick for air cooler pick on the last page of the magazine. I think people should know about the 1283 as another option, that works almost as efficiently as the 212+. It is as easy to mount, may be a bit quieter, is comparable in price, and is definitely lighter.

Just my 2 pennies; sharing my experience to pass on something that works well.
Tgard

*edit - right after I posted this I was checking my email and saw that this cooler is a black friday special at Newegg for $4.99 after $20 rebate. Nice deal!

Post subject: Re: Is MPC married to the CM Hyper 212+ cooler
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:05 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

The fact that it does do better than the Gaia and the fact that it is a lot of performance for cheap are the main reasons that they choose the 212+. I have one, and the install is easy and it works great.