Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Why are the Podcasts decreasing in frequency?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:00 am 

I have been a long term magazine subscriber. It was reading Maximum PC that gave me the courage to build my first PC years ago. I stumbled across your podcasts and have become addicted to them also; especially Gordon's Rant. But now it seems like they are decreasing in frequency. I thought they used to be released weekly, or at least every 2 weeks, but now a month goes by routinely between podcasts. I think the last one was released September 28th, and it's now November 3rd.

Shame. Shame on you.

Please rant more.

Post subject: Re: Why are the Podcasts decreasing in frequency?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:45 am 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

We're working on it. Our podcast producer now works at Future, which is great, except he has a job in a different department and can only edit the podcast after hours. Also, instead of recording over Skype at our desks, like we used to, we record in a podcast-recording studio upstairs. This gives us better sound quality but it's harder to wrangle everyone together, and sometimes the mixer breaks.

We recorded a podcast last Thursday and it should go up soon, but there were technical difficulties and the Rant seems not to have recorded. It's frustrating.

Anyway, we're working on getting back to a biweekly schedule.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:46 pm 

I too have been bummed on the lack of podcasts. It is almost 2012 and not a word. Please bring them back. And where is the all rant edition?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:24 pm 

Damn my favorite podcast no where to be found. :(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:28 am 

Yeah, I totally miss the podcast....has been a staple for a long time

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:02 am 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

Quick update: So Future had some layoffs at the end of January, as part of a reorganization.

Half of the Maximum PC staff members, as well as our podcast producer, were laid off, giving us half as many resources to continue putting out the magazine and website.

The podcast is important to us, but because it costs money to make and doesn't make any money for the company (it's always been something the editors do on their own), it's not high priority to the company, which is focused on keeping the magazines and websites going.

Right now the remaining editors (Gordon, Katherine, Alex and myself) are trying to figure out a way to keep putting out podcasts given our budgetary and staff limitations, and we'll let you know what we come up with.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:43 am 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Oh damn... that sucks. I really hope you guys bounce back up.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:35 am 
Team Member*
Team Member*

No doubt! I'm sorry to hear that! I hope your guys are able to keep going! Max PC rocks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:57 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

nedwards wrote:
Quick update: So Future had some layoffs at the end of January, as part of a reorganization.

Half of the Maximum PC staff members, as well as our podcast producer, were laid off, giving us half as many resources to continue putting out the magazine and website.

The podcast is important to us, but because it costs money to make and doesn't make any money for the company (it's always been something the editors do on their own), it's not high priority to the company, which is focused on keeping the magazines and websites going.

Right now the remaining editors (Gordon, Katherine, Alex and myself) are trying to figure out a way to keep putting out podcasts given our budgetary and staff limitations, and we'll let you know what we come up with.

Well, this sucks. :x
And to be honest, how much longer can the print mag survive with staff cut in half? That means the remaining staff need to work twice as hard, and that can mean burnout and discontent. Trust me, I know all too well about when companies lay off staff but expect the same amount of production at no increase in salary.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:15 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Yeah, My dad worked for Nortel before it went boom from the dot com bubble in 2000. He was a project manager with a team of 127 people, by the time the lay offs were reaching near him, he was one of 25 people left in his team and he opted out for early retirement because he couldn't handle the workload and stress.

Interesting enough, it was when my dad was heading up some wireless network projects down in Mexico and we were expecting to move and live there from 2000-2003 (I lived there for 6 months in 2001, but we had our states side home still), but he got transferred back to the states right before he was "laid off".

Also, the year that I lived there and went to school (which looked like a prison), was during the time all of the American children kidnappings were going on that was popularized by the movie "Man on Fire". I didn't learn of these issues until I saw the movie in 04. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:38 am 

Wait wait WHAT ?

Does that mean that "BloOdymAN" is no longer with you ?

Sad Face

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:50 am 

That sucks. I liked Andy Bowman.

nedwards wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:17 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

The good news is we are now podcasting monthly and Andy is still producing and editing the podcats for us. Should be one up on the website later today.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:20 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

To feed your podcast fix, here is the best weekly source for all things PC