Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Disillusioned with mpc, quitting.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:52 pm 

With the quality of the articles continuing to plummet, fewer technical articles, and a switch of focus to covering proprietary formats and solutions over their standardized counterparts, I've become disillusioned with maximumpc. The last few issues of my previous subscription left on my desk until just recently because I realized I no longer sought to read them. I knew it would be the same marketing drivel over and over again. I opened them up a few days ago, and red through them just in case, hoping for something to rekindle the spark that seems to have become extinguished. I found nothing.
Then I see that I can now read MaxPC on my iDevice. I don't own any iDevices anymoar. I tried it, same as everyone else here. I hated it, I moved on and grew up. Thanks for bringing MaxPC to the apple crowd. They'll love it. That's the final straw for me.
My subscription has expired. I have no plans to renew it. I don't want the magazine anymore if this is the way it's going to be. I wonder how many people feel the same way, and just won't say anything, or will just keep tossing their shrink-wrapped magazines onto a pile for "some day".

Post subject: Re: Disillusioned with mpc, quitting.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:27 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Quote:
With the quality of the articles continuing to plummet, fewer technical articles, and a switch of focus to covering proprietary formats and solutions over their standardized counterparts.

What? There's plenty of technical articles and they cover a lot of high end standardized parts. This is MaxPC, they rarely review budget minded components unless it brings a lot of value to the table. I do agree the level of articles is getting away from their usual strict no bs attitude and its going towards a more "earthy warm feeling" tone, but they still write stuff like what they feel and cut through the crap. I don't read them religiously like I used to when they first came in the mail, but if I got 10 mins to kill, I'll pick up the magazine and read a bit at a time.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:30 am 
Million Club - 20 Plus
Million Club - 20 Plus

I still subscribe and read the mag. I do, however, wish they would get back to the old boot mag style of review. No holds barred reviewing. Tell it like it is. Down grade the thing if you don't like the color. That kind of reporting.
I have changed my subscription to the without CD one. When they first started including the CD, lots of different demos/utilities/etc. But now you are lucky is there is one new thing per CD.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:36 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
thats most likely why they dropped the cd, except for those with subs that include them, when those subs are up, then they will be gone.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:47 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

You can also read the digital versions of MPC using Nook software ... available for free for Android devices. Just FYI.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:05 am 

If you must know, I prefer to use Aldiko, though I've been hearing a lot of good stuff about ibis reader as well. I don't buy into DRM encumbered formats, so unless you (Max PC) condone using the ignoble dedrm tools...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:52 am 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

The edit team doesn't have any control over the formats we're published in. But as you might notice, we do release every issue for free, with no DRM and no ads, in convenient PDF format. All you have to do is wait a month or so. We actually just updated it through October 2011.

Also, just because the mag is available on iDevices doesn't mean we did it to spite you. Believe it or not, there have been many people asking for the mag on iOS, and since our publisher put most of its mags on iOS, we thought it'd be stupid to ask them not to put Maximum PC there as well.

As mentioned, we also have a Nook version and a Kindle version is coming. If none of these appeal to you, please don't buy them. We have a DRM-free print format, a free website, and the PDF archive, which is free and doesn't have any DRM.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:55 am 

any plans to add the epub(nook) and azw(kindle) files next to the pdf(paper) editions in the online archives any time in the future?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:05 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

Not currently. I can look into it. This is the first anyone's asked for it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:19 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Aldiko (the book reader I (and aarcane) use on our phones are both capable of reading PDFs ... but epub really is much better. It scales to the screen and provides much better formatting.

My iPad handles either using iBook and again, epub looks much nicer.

Given the choice, I'd much prefer epub for my digital version magazine consumption.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:33 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

I'll have to look into it. The big difference between the PDF Archives and any other digital edition is that the editorial team throws together the PDF Archive because we think it's a good thing for people to have. We wait until after the issue is off newsstands because by then we wouldn't be making any money on it anyway. We do want to make money, because if the magazine is profitable the company doesn't go under and continue to pay us, and we can continue to make magazines.

The other digital editions--the Kindle, Nook, and iOS device versions--are created by the Production team at our parent company and distributed under the same strategy as the print versions. That is, we sell them in the hopes of making money. And since they're being sold, they fall under the business side of things, which means we (the edit side) don't really get a say in them. This is in return for the business side not telling us what to write.

That said, it looks like the software we use to lay out the magazine supports the creation of epub documents, so it's possible we'd be able to make an epub version of the magazine. Whether that's something we'd be able to distribute like the PDFs (free, but time-delayed) or like the print/digital editions (paid, but in a timely fashion) is not something I know right now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:53 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Gotcha.

We can hope and, in the meantime, PDFs read pretty decently on my iPad.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:53 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

HEY LOOK EVERYBODY THIS GUY HAS AN IPAD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:54 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Well ... technically ...

It is an iPad 2.

Just FYI.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:56 pm 

I had an iDevice once. Sold it for $80. Preferred the $80.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:57 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

nedwards wrote:
HEY LOOK EVERYBODY THIS GUY HAS AN IPAD

Don't tell Gordon! :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:04 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

aarcane wrote:
I had an iDevice once. Sold it for $80. Preferred the $80.

Cool story bro.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:19 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

I want to be able to read my MPC on my nano plz... thank you. And yes, I have an 8x loupe ready in hand; re-purposed from my old film camera if you were wondering...

lol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:20 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

I'd use a text-to-speech program. If you convert the PDF to straight text, then run each article through the program, then you can listen instead of mucking around with teensy text!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:18 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

I replaced the screen with a super retina 1" display. Mega high res at 9000x6000. Also got the upgraded AI package to help me find good music for free, although just don't let the CIA know that it hacks NASA's radio telescopes and then combines all the static noises of the universe to create the ultimate techno remix. Powered by the same micro fusion cell from the T800, but just don't be singing along and shout Conner...