Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Gaming rig versus NLE workstations
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:30 am 

I am a magazine subscriber going for my second year, my first maximum pc magazine was purchase in a second hand books shop until competition to acquire the magazine became harder to come by. Currently video editing is my main line of work, I have seen a few reviews of NLE work stations in your magazine but you have never compared the difference in performance or hardware requirements in both gaming rig and an NLE workstation. Hope you could help me defend my recommendation to my superiors.

Post subject: Re: Gaming rig versus NLE workstations
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:36 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I wouldn't say "never". They just did a photo editing machine, which spawned more articles in current issues, and we should be able to translate...I'd think...that if it's good at video as well.

MPC is not about Gaming only, and I still don't see it this way either. I miss a few editions here and there, but been following since Boot, and I just feel they're open minded over those years. But you're right...check them when you think we're being pigeon holed. The mag is not an open and evolving discussion, the forums are. If this was an August issue, these very words you want to discuss were more than likely entered in late June. June is old in these forums.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:11 pm 

Photo editing and NLE stations are also two different animal I guest have to keep my other subscription just to be on my toes on new development still no comparative with gaming rig and NLE on that. Hope MPC will be kind enough to have it on their forthcoming issue.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:15 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I have some experience using NLE software and the only thing that would be different hardware wise compared to a gaming rig would be the video in and outs that you'd need depending on what video cameras you have.

As far as video cards for a NLE goes any decent gaming card is more than enough for most situations.

With this in mind why would you need a whole article or even articles dedicated to that?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:46 am 

I am looking more at differences like: How much time would it take a gaming rig in rendering 10 layered video plus 3 audio against a NLE? What benefit will I derive in using XEON processors than i7, i5, i3 or Phenom II in NLE rig? What are the hardware issues in using gaming rig against NLE? Does gaming rig encode captured video differently? Any opinion from the experts will be highly appreciated, thanks to all that responded.