Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Article Suggestion: automated recovery boot option
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:15 am 

Love the magazine, devour it as soon as it arrives. One thing I have not seen in all the helpful ideas is a way to configure a boot option to automagically restore a partition image. My reason for wanting this is because of the number of Windows installs I've had to do for friends, neighbors, and relatives. Why not set up a script to handle this and walk them through it over the phone? Saving me a house call or hours on the phone. My own personal best practice is to set up a few partitions: one for all documents/libraries, a small one for the "recovery" image of the OS partition, and of course the root OS partition itself. As soon as I get the system built and OS up to the most current patch levels I use a bootable CD with PartImage to create a recovery image to that small partition.

And having the documents/libraries on a separate data partition means I can recover to that image without losing everything. Yes there are plenty of files programs will install to the root drive, but I'm getting better at finding those and moving them as well. But the family jewels of documents, movies, photos and music are stored out of harms way, which is the key.

I've cracked the code on using Gparted to make the partitions, and PartImage to backup the OS partition. Grub2 gives me the multiple boot menu. I'd guess there "should" be some sort of scipting language within the Grub2 environment that would let me invoke the right PartImage command to plop that backup into the root partition and get me at least back to a stable OS after a virus attack. Yes, user beware, don't want grandpa to select that boot option to "see what happens". Obviously I'd make the boot menu hidden or go by in a flash. So how about a How-To walking through the steps to make a recovery partition, create the image, then build a boot menu option to restore that backup image? You'd be putting me out of my night job!