Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Case Irony
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:07 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I just received the latest issue of Maximum PC (August 2011) and am surprised to see that both a Rosewill case and a Rosewill PSU were chosen to be included in the budget PC build on the cover of the magazine. I find the selection of the case to be ironic as the magazine also has a case roundup featured in the same issue, and I realize that Rosewill cases have never been reviewed (at least to the best of my recollection) in Maximum PC and I have been a subscriber to the magazine for 12 years now. Why is that? Rosewill makes some really nice cases that cost more than the ones used in the budget PC builds in the past two years (the most expensive one at NewEgg is here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811147107) and have similar features to some of the high-end cases that are reviewed regularly from month-to-month, yet they are never reviewed by this magazine. I have built three computers in the last three or four years that are all housed in Rosewill cases (usually in the $60-$70 price range, that is) and never had any major issues with any of their designs or features. This is not a criticism, mind you, just something that piques my curiosity.

Post subject: Re: Case Irony
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:44 am 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

Normally Rosewill cases are a little outside of our price range; we tend to favor less budget cases for our non-budget rigs. But you're right; they can be of pretty high quality. I just did a $350 budget rig for the September issue, and I was torn between a Rosewill and a Thermaltake mini-ITX case. When I took off the top cover, though, they turned out to be exactly the same case except for the front panel design and the price tag--the Thermaltake was $15 more.

We have reviewed Rosewill cases before, but yeah, we'll probably review more of them going forward.

Post subject: Re: Case Irony
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:51 am 

Good catch Nathan..

Thermaltake Element Q VL52021N2U = Rosewill RS-MI-01 (although they do have different size PSUs)

Rosewill RS-MI-01

Thermaltake Element Q VL52021N2U