Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: MSi E350ia-e45...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:34 pm 

I read the write-up about the MSi E350ia-e45 Motherboard(Vol. 16, No. 4 Issue)and was left with a sour taste in my mouth. It got a respectable verdict score of 7. For a Micro board that's a pretty decent score.

But at the end in the Score box in the (-)column it says that the board didn't have enough juice to boot to a 3TB drive.

Just wondering but what size PSU was employed in this?

I recently went through something similar when my system was down for sleeving on a much better board. My Crosshair has a 955 BE and a 5770 HD Radeon GPU. When I bought it the manufacturer of the accepted level(450w) had really not made themselves worthwhile where my 500w PSU was concerned. So I bought a new Corsair HX 850w PSU and it works great. But I wanted to sleeve it. It ended up being a 4 month process because I wasn't prepared. To make a long story short I tried to get around the down time by installing the 500 watter. The farthest I could get on it was the BIOS and no further. Apparently my RAID drive was just too much for it. I even pulled all but one stick of RAM to see if I could get it to Post.

This nags me in the front of my skull, when I read the article and nothing is mentioned about the PSU used to supply the most important energy to not only get the board to work but to access the drive to get it to Post. It led to that sour taste that I got because Gordon didn't supply this information. If a 400w PSU was used I can understand why the 3 TB would not complete the circuit. This is assuming that Win 7 was used and that that HDD was formatted with a recognizable partition for the OS.

So if it was too low a wattage on the PSU(regardless of manufacturer claims of MSi and AMD) has anyone tried to use a bigger wattage?

Post subject: Re: MSi E350ia-e45...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:22 am 
Team Dino
Team Dino

I don't think they're referring to the PSU, but more than likely the board lacks a 64 bit LBA controller and UEFI, both of which are required for a native 3 TB boot. (There are methods to get around this, but it wouldn't be the direct/native way.)

n0b0dykn0ws

Post subject: Re: MSi E350ia-e45...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:32 pm 
Team Dino
Team Dino

I just read the review and I was right. You can't boot to a 3 TB drive in a native fashion.

The power drawback was aimed at the CPU/GPU power. Not how much power it uses to operate, but the fact that you won't be able to play high end games at much higher than 1024x768 and CPU intensive applications will choke.

For someone like me though, that would like a low wattage media playback machine, it is a very good option.

n0b0dykn0ws