Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Suggested Story Idea
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:17 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

One thing I haven't been able to find online, or in any other magazines is the impact that a full disk encryption has on an SSD. I suspect such an action would impact performance but by how much? How badly (if at all) does it reduce the lifetime of an SSD?

I think knowing the answer to these questions, with some sexy Maximum PC benchmarks would help some folks. I mean SSD use in laptops and portable devices is only going to grow. For laptops and business users encrypting the drive is becoming more and more common.

Anyways just thought I'd share. :lol:

Post subject: Re: Suggested Story Idea
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:04 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

malebolgia wrote:
One thing I haven't been able to find online, or in any other magazines is the impact that a full disk encryption has on an SSD. I suspect such an action would impact performance but by how much? How badly (if at all) does it reduce the lifetime of an SSD?

I think knowing the answer to these questions, with some sexy Maximum PC benchmarks would help some folks. I mean SSD use in laptops and portable devices is only going to grow. For laptops and business users encrypting the drive is becoming more and more common.

Anyways just thought I'd share. :lol:

I could see performance dropping off, but honestly I doubt more than 10%. That is assuming that you have the encryption key. In my exact experience, performance degradation, if any is completely unnoticeable with my vertex 2. Further, I don't know many people that encrypt an entire drive, unless

*They have a lot of illegal content (i.e. music, movies, and other pirated downloads.)
*They're a spook working for the government.
*or extremely paranoid. (i.e. The old man off of family guy. capiche?)

I typically just make a partition of sufficient size and use it to store my personal info (i.e. bank statements etc.)

That being said I hope you find what you are looking for and I hope this helps you out a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:12 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I hope you're right about the minor performance drop.

My view is more for business and users with laptops. Knowing a thief can't get at the data in my laptop is a good feeling, even if I'm down $600 from the stolen equipment.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:59 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

malebolgia wrote:

My view is more for business and users with laptops. Knowing a thief can't get at the data in my laptop is a good feeling, even if I'm down $600 from the stolen equipment.

Well like i said, make a partition-encrypt said partition-know your password/key-store work files-never lose performance in apps. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:02 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

codyandbecca wrote:
malebolgia wrote:

Well like i said, make a partition-encrypt said partition-know your password/key-store work files-never lose performance in apps. 8)

Yeah for personal files that will work.