Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mag Idea
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:43 am 

I was thinking of possibly seeing some new spreads added in upcoming mags. The one I came up with, that i would like to see is. Mobile phone security. And i dont mean wacky passwords. I mean more in depth, here are a couple of my ideas:

1. Whos OS has the best basic prevention (if i took it out of the box and setup a PW just to access the phone) no other apps. Who's OS supports the best security against data being stolen or sent over the airways. (im probablty not frazing this correctly)

2. What are the best Apps to use based off the respective OS for security.

3. Who's phone calls are most intercepted and breakable.

4. Apps that can erase your phone data or reset it to factory default (wiping everything out) with a single button or text password to it. So if lost or stolen you dont have to worry about someone trying to break into your phone to get information.

The reason why i bring this up because with the ever expanding use of smartphones and tablets. There is just a plethera of fresh new devices and technology thieves can you use to hack personal information. And with more people making the switch. How much emphansis is there on the user side to make their phones secure.

Remember years ago with Nextel. The gov't hated it because the 2-way traffic couldnt be easily listened on. Or how recently BB was being baned by certain gov'ts because their secuirty was too great and they want to have access to their servers. And then there is the new law in Cali that if police can take your phone without a warrant if they believe it was used in something illegal.

There are always articles for the PC user and software for years that help this, and much spent on trying to educate people to this on their own PC. And we know most dont, so forget about it even happing on a smartphone or tablet. We can never be 100% secure but if you take the 'onion' approach the would-be thief is more likely to move on because there are plenty of others who dont have the precaution.

Please anyone else expand on some of these ideas they would like to see pertaining to this subject.

Post subject: Re: Mag Idea
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:52 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

One quick answer for you: data and phone calls OTA (over-the-air) are identical regardless of the OS used by the phone. Rather than being OS dependent, the security depends on the protocol used by the phone service (3G, 4G, EDGE, etc.).

For instance, if you're an AT&T customer and you have an iPhone and an Android phone, you're using the same network and the same security for data and phone calls on both phones. They use the same encryption to communicate with AT&T.

Breaking into handsets is dependent on the OS, however, and may make an interesting sidebar in a larger article comparing Android, iOS and 'other' mobile OSes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:22 pm 

I work in telecomm and the construction of the antennas and the systesm being rolled out. So i know what you mean, that no matter what phone they have if the carrier is the the same then the Over the air encryption is the same. But i think it would be interesting for others who dont know. Like which carrier has the best Over the air security.

I think the bigger part of the article would fall onto what you said, breacking into the phone or rather the best prevention thereof. Then lets say you get past the PW to the device. How do you prevent data being read or othing such things. Because at that level all the OS diff and the security they offer and apps. I think the article would at least enlighten most.

(5 mins ago) I just saw for instance, a guy at work who just got a iphone (showing it off) on verzion and his phone security is the slide bar no PW. I mean really?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:01 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

tony2tonez wrote:
(5 mins ago) I just saw for instance, a guy at work who just got a iphone (showing it off) on verzion and his phone security is the slide bar no PW. I mean really?

That is a user setting .. you can apply a password or not, as you like.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:08 pm 

I watched him 'Slide to Unlock', no PW promp. My girl has it on her phone and i know she has no PW. I can just pick it up and slide it and I'm in.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:23 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Yes.

And there is a setting on both of their phones to require a PIN rather than just unlocking the phone.
There is also a setting to determine how long your phone remains unlocked when not in use.

They're just lazy and haven't bothered changing those settings or they don't want to bother with a PIN everytime they use their phone.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:19 am 
SON OF A GUN
SON OF A GUN

Excuse me, but wtf does Maximum PC have to do with phones? I don't get MaxPC to hear about phones.