Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Official October 2010 Magazine Feedback Thread
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:58 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

Oh my gosh! Time to talk about the October 2010 issue of Maximum PC!

Please refrain from "omg where's mah copy of the issue" comments.

If you have typos to point out, you can point those out in a separate thread (we really like those).

We're really interested in your feelings about the actual editorial content of the mag (please note, ads are not editorial content). That's right. We care about your feelings! Some of us do. Sometimes.

Also, if you haven't yet, subscribe to our somewhat inaccurately titled No BS Podcast! The tech parts are No BS; the nerdy arguments about which fictional characters can defeat which are Slight BS.

-nathan

Post subject: Re: Official October 2010 Magazine Feedback Thread
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:09 pm 

Hey. First, imagine my surprise to find the October issue in my mailbox yesterday and we're not even done with August yet!

From what I can tell so far it's another rock-solid issue. I found myself gravitated to the Corsair H70 (p.85) review. I'm considering entry-level water cooling to try out. However, I'm concerned about fit of one of these inside a Raven RV-01 case which, as you should know, has a rotated mobo design with exhaust fan at the top. Any ideas from the MPC Lab on how the H70 would fair? I currently use a Zalman CNPS9700 on a Core i5 750, oc'd @ 3.4 GHz.

Also, as a side note on same review article, I was a bit confused by the following statement:

"Like others of its ilk, the H70's fans and radiator mount in place of your case's 12cm rear exhaust fan, although Corsair recommends you mount the H70's fans as exhaust rather than intake (as with the H50)."

So...we are to mount the H70 as an exhaust fan even though Corsair recommends it to be used as an exhaust fan? :o

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:25 am 

I decided to buy an H70 anyway. Got it for less than MSRP and it turned out to be a very easy install with preliminary planning.

And for the record, the H70 instructions recommend the fans/radiator to be installed as an intake. I went with exhaust since it was convenient with the Raven's design. No issues yet although initial cooling temps seem to be about the same as I had previously with a Zalman CNPS9700.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:57 pm 

Signal2Noise wrote:
Hey. First, imagine my surprise to find the October issue in my mailbox yesterday and we're not even done with August yet!

Me too!

Oh, sorry. No, I didn't. In fact, I didn't get my September issue either.

Protip: December comes after September. So if someone's subscription ends in December, it's probably wise to send them September and October.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:28 pm 

I have my H50 set as a push/pull Exhaust for a year and Temps on my AMD 1090T never go above 35C most of the time Temps are between 25-->30C. I am using a CM Scout case. I never understood why they say to have it set as Intake